This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 Core Wifi Network Issues

Anonymousl3east

Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57:00 am

I have recently installed zorin os as dual boot on my computer and its pretty nice.It feels like a good substitute for windows 10. But i have a issue,sometimes (not always) zorin can't seem to identify my wifi network after suspending or disconnecting from my wifi. My wifi network doesn't show up at all and I have to reboot my laptop. Also my physical (or in my case,touch) wifi button keeps blinking. Does this have something to do with this issue? Also I'm a noob in zorin and its been less then a week since I installed it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:49:40 pm

Hi, please open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
ifconfig -a

This should list all your network devices - we don't need any Ethernet or MAC addresses (hexadecimal numbers prefixed with the 'word' HWAddr) - hopefully just the make and id of the chipset e.g., Broadcom, Atheros etc.

Anonymousl3east

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:57:18 am

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:23:22 pm

OK, that used to give more detail - things are changing - do you get any named hardware after running:

Code:
lspci
?

Anonymousl3east

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50:05 pm

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:37:14 pm

You typed a 1 - it should be L - lower l. ;)

Anonymousl3east

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:03:25 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:You typed a 1 - it should be L - lower l. ;)

Thanks alot dude! I legit thought that was a "1". The command works! http://imgur.com/KTSizho

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35:05 pm

OK, that was helpful - did a search for Intel 3400 Heci chipset and wireless issues in Ubuntu 16.04 on which Zorin 12 is based. Can you now paste the following in a terminal and post the results once more please:

Code:
wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && chmod +x wireless-info && ./wireless-info

Please note, when you see 'select all' next to the code - just click it and it will copy the above command to your clipboard, ready for you to 'paste' into your terminal. ;) :D

Anonymousl3east

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51:11 pm

T-This is a lot of info http://imgur.com/MgMfBZF and here is some more info with that file mentioned in the terminal https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_yij ... TFkc1pGelU Also how do I paste with my touchpad? My mouse broke so I won't be able to paste any lengthy commands without the scroll button. My touchpad only has 2 buttons.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29:00 pm

OK, looking at the detail I might have found an issue:

wlo1 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"PTCL-BB"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: <MAC 'PTCL-BB' [AC1]>
Bit Rate=300 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=62/70 Signal level=-48 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:300 Missed beacon:0

This is like issues I requested our IT section to look at when a colleagues wifi dropped from their surface pro - they forget that default settings in Windows is that Power Management is switched on which means it will turn wireless off to save the battery which is what is happening here - can you turn powermanagement off in the BIOS at all?

In terms of the chipset you appear to have Intel wireless chipset:

43:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6200 [8086:4239] (rev 35)
DeviceName: WLAN

Try this (just left click the 'select all' above code if you can then right-click and paste in terminal - you don't have to highlight the text between:

Code:
sudo modprobe iwlwifi -r

then
Code:
sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=0

and see if it helps - souce was from this very long thread:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/822076/s ... untu-16-04

Anonymousl3east

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:11:37 am

My hp bios didn't have any power management settings but ever since I installed zorin as dual-boot there is this "Advanced Zorin Options" everytime I re-boot/boot my laptop on.I think I'll do a little exploration in that. Also the blinking still persists from time to time. But I don't know if that solves the "wifi not occasionally being able to detect my network even though its working" issue. I ran the commands and nothing special seemed to appear in the terminal.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:34:47 pm

Hi, when you choose advanced options you should get earlier kernels showing plus further 'safe-boot' options - one of these is 'dpkg' which looks for missing or broken passages - try this to see if it helps or otherwise but after letting dpkg run it's course DON'T select continue - shut down and reboot as per Wolfman's guide. ;) :D

Anonymousl3east

Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:34:20 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, when you choose advanced options you should get earlier kernels showing plus further 'safe-boot' options - one of these is 'dpkg' which looks for missing or broken passages - try this to see if it helps or otherwise but after letting dpkg run it's course DON'T select continue - shut down and reboot as per Wolfman's guide. ;) :D

All I have to do is run this dpkg safe mode in advanced options then click shut down,right? Also I don't know what Wolfman's guide are you talking about.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:53:39 pm

The post install guide that was for Zorin 6, 9 et al here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

Anonymousl3east

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:59:18 am

The blinking yet still persists but meh. Atleast my wifi issue is resolved after I installed the missing packages. Also I will reply to this topic one more time if my problem has not been truly resolved. Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43:12 pm

Glad to be of help and extra blue jewels to Wolfman! ;) :D

Anonymousl3east

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:25:52 am

Uh...I know it might be too soon to reply...but new problem. After I reconnect to the internet after a certain amount of time (like about an hour) zorin keeps asking for the wifi password to authenticate it keeps showing the same dialogue again and agian. Even if I type the password correctly it keeps asking. It is also the same wifi network I use everyday. I hope you don't mind helping my miserable life ._.

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:13:06 pm

This sounds like the 'gnome-keyring' demon (or rather daemon) being the usual p.i.t.a. - see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12759

Anonymousl3east

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:40:22 am

This keyring posts/topics did not help me. I found multiple forums and topics about how ppl were unable to connect to their wifi even when entering the correct password. In the installation of zorin 12 I had the option to setup wifi and I did. Sometimes after I get disconnected from the internet for like 20 min or longer I try reconnecting but when I do it asks for the wifi password. My issue is similar to this https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1916275. Also life was interfering with me if you are wondering why it took so long to reply.