This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Bottoming this keyring thingy

Finston Pickle

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30:27 am

Since restoring my Zorin 9 as well as my Zorin 12 installs on my two laptops, both have been pestering me with keyring password requests, when I try to open applications.

Perhaps someone can explain what happens if I do put in a password, say my present password for opening synaptic package manager. Will all his hassle go away or will I have to enter this password each time I open an application (which would be more bother than closing out the keyring request box)?

Has anyone managed to get rid of the keyring password requests? Each one of the guides that I have seen (Including the response from Zorin 12 Ultimate support) has resulted in ambiguous suggestions. Not wanting to **** up my machines, I have never dared try adjusting anything until I am certain of what to do, step by step.

On my original Zorin 9 install, I don't remember keyrings, even as a feature - if they were there they disappeared after I dismissed the request a few times (or did I put in my passord used elsewhere?).

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:01:25 am

This is an old fix so don't know if it will work:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-keyrin ... omments/16

MBMz10

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:19:20 am

On Zorin 9 (not sure about OS 12) and using "Auto Login" so not entering my password to login, just boots up to the desktop, when I opened Evolution (mail client) I used to get something like "your login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged in" message. I made it go away by doing the following.

MenuPWD.png
Go to Menu>System Tools>Preferences>Passwords and Keys or just type pass in the menu search should work. Passwords and Keys box opens.

PasswordKeyChangePWD.png
Right click on login and choose 'Change Password'.

FirstPWD.png
Input your password which should be the system password, what you use to open synaptic for example.

2ndPWD.png
Leave both of these blank.

ContinuePWD.png
You will get this warning.

Now the only time I need to enter my password is for things like Synaptic or software installing or making system wide changes.
Not sure if this is what your after but it works for me, just means that if someone started my PC they could boot it up and use my email etc so your choice.
Security versus convenience, in my case it is 'physical' security, you have to gain access to the house or hack in some how.
Happy to hear what others think of this?

Finston Pickle

Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:15:22 am

Thanks, MBMz10 - your solution worked fine on my Zorin 9 laptop!

Now to try it on my Zorin 12 laptop.

To those who are wondering:

If you do use the keyring thingy, use the password that works for updates or synaptic package manager etc. - this was never clear to me - I did not know whether a new password was required or not.

Also be certain of the physical security of your device before taking away this level of software security. Like MBMz10, I am.

MBMz10

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:56:56 am

Glad it worked for you as it did for me.

Finston Pickle

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:25:02 pm

Tradgedy! the keyring thingy fights back in Zorin 12.

Would you believe it - the Zorin 12 password and keys does not feature Login > Change passwords

In Help, I found:

Update the keyring password
The password to unlock your keyring can be updated at any time.
To update the password for a password keyring:
Select the password keyring from the list, under Passwords, on the left side panel.
Right click on the selected password keyring and select Change Password.
Type your old password to authenticate yourself and press Continue.
In the new dialog, type your new password, retype it to confirm the new password and press the Continue button to finish.

Now I just need to know which Keyring it is from:

Certificates:
User Key Storage
System Trust

Secure Shell:
Open SSH keys

PGP Keys:
GnuPG Keys

Life used to be simple once! What a palaver.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:32:28 pm

This is an old post so may not work for the latest version of Zorin/Ubuntu:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st10301640

Also see this old thread:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st12814883

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23:40 am

Thanks for the update.

I would prefer to use the Passwords and Keys GUI - once I know which keyring to change (probably user, I guess) - it seems set up to be able to stop this feature from working quite easily (once you know the which "key" keyring information to change.

I have raised the issue with Zorin 12 Ultimate support (who offered a command line change previously, which seemed to me to affect the system - so I will not try that again).

Hopefully, they will supply the answer, which I can share here.

Finston Pickle

Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:50:50 am

A quick update:

I contacted Zorin Ultimate support about this issue, saying

"As you know, I have been trying to get rid of the keyring request that appears before each application opens. I have found out how to do this simply in Zorin 9 - But.... Tradgedy! the keyring thingy fights back in Zorin 12.

Would you believe it - the Zorin 12 password and keys does not feature Login > Change passwords."

After some to-ing and fro-ing their latest position is:

"Hello,
We have been doing research but unfortunately we could not find a solution to the issue you are experiencing yet.
While we continue to try to find a solution, we would recommend you to post your query on our forum (http://zoringroup.com/forum) where one of our moderators may be able to help you.

Any ideas guys!

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:46:05 am

This may not work as it relates to earlier Ubuntu:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st12814883

Finston Pickle

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43:39 pm

Thanks Swarf - but above my pay grade, I guess!

I will wait for Zorin 12 Ultimate support to crank into action and then spread the solution here.

In the meantime I have just about got used to clicking the left hand box in the keyring > enter password, until the app opens.

Finston Pickle

Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:04:02 pm

I never did get a working solution from Zorin 12 Ultimate support.

Has anyone figured out how to eliminate the keyring pop up - I just dismiss it when it pops up - one click, easier than entering a password. Fortunately, It seems very easy to bypass.

Does anyone know how to stop it popping up in Zorin 12.1?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03:42 pm

Finston Pickle

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:51:10 pm

I'm afraid it does not.

There is no "By Keyring" option to check in the Z 12 version of passwords and keys

What a mix up!

I do notice that there is an unlock option if you right click on the Certificates > Gnome 2 Key storage (presently locked) - but I dare not try it for the risk of cocking up my machine.

Could this be the way forward?

Finston Pickle

Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:52:38 pm

Correction - it is there - will look again later

MBMz10

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:01:06 am

Possible work around, I normally use auto login however when I go to access my NAS (Network Attached Storage/server) with file manager a password dialog box prompts for password at which time I can just 'login anonymously" and it all works good but if I go to another drive/share on the NAS it pops up again, sometimes I have to enter password 3 times for example. If I choose the "login as registered user" and keep password forever I still have to go through the same process after rebooting.

Yesterday I installed Zorin 12.1 Ultimate on my 'shed' PC, chose 'require my password to login' during installation, created Bookmarks to my 3 drives/shares on the NAS, chose the registered user and to keep password forever options and now I only enter password at login then its all good, no more password unless installing or updating software etc. Not sure if any of this will help your case but thought I would share it in anyway.

Most of my PC's are in the house so physical security works there but the shed is often open and unlocked, don't care too much about the old shed PC being stolen and no personal stuff on it but if someone deleted my NAS files would be a little annoying. So now I will test this on one of the 'house' PC's by changing to require password at login and see what happens.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:45:49 am

Hi Guys, please take a look at this thread and see if either of the two promulgated solutions to the issue work for you?:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175506629/

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:15:43 pm

Interesting thread here but anyone who wants to try this DOES SO AT THEIR OWN RISK!:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... y-in-nixos

In Zorin 12.1 to find Security it is in:

lib | x86_64-linux-gnu | Security [ inside of this is a separate folder named Security and outside of this are libpam files which have similar/same names as those inside the second Security folder so would not know which is which! ]

MBMz10

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:10:54 pm

(Edit) I just looked back through page one Zorin 9 tutorial on this thread and the reason I did it then was when I started 'Evolution' which I no longer use.

I'm not sure exactly when the OP gets the keyring thingy but I just did on my fresh Zorin 12.1 install the same as I did on the first page of this thread regarding Zorin 9 and for the same reason, that is to 'auto login' and access my NAS (network folders) without needing to enter any passwords. See first page re security issues etc and do this at your own risk however I could not tell the difference between Z12 or Z9 when I went through this process other than some of the individual screens and wording might be slightly different. The process is below.

Menu>Utilities>Password and Keys

Keys1.png
Right click the highlight 'Login' key

Keys2.png
Choose change password

Keys3.png
Enter your password, this is you login, synaptic software installing etc password

Keys4.png
Leave both these passwords blank, no password at all, click continue

Keys5.png
Read the warning (and ignore it ! ), click continue

Although this machine was requiring my password to login since installing Z12.1 a few days earlier and I could login with password then access my NAS without re-entering PW, I changed it to 'auto login' and got the keyring message when trying to access NAS.
After doing the above steps it now auto logins and no PW to access the NAS, basically the same as I had done earlier on my Zorin 9 installations.

I checked some of this on a Virtual machine (before venturing out to the shed to where the full hardware install was) and noticed it had in the password and keys app a 'Default Keyring' rather than a 'login' but it was also set to auto login from the installation, see picture below

MBMz10

Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:14:47 pm

The missing picture from above post, (must be a limit of some sort)

From my Zorin 12.1 Virtual Machine with auto login set from the installation. I did not go through the procedure on this Virtual machine and do not access my NAS from VM's either.
PasswordKeyChange1.png

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:41:31 pm

Hi MBMz10, How did you get to Password and Keys - Settings? ;) :D

MBMz10

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40:31 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi MBMz10, How did you get to Password and Keys - Settings? ;) :D

Menu>Utilities>Password and Keys, or just type start typing 'password' in the Zorin menu search worked for me. On Zorin 12.1 Ultimate.
Something tells me you don't have this setting and wondering why I didn't have or see when this thread started...

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:27:13 pm

Hi MBMz10, I think I am still lagging behind in my OS explorations - I keep forgetting about Utilities - Too much time on earlier Zorin's and Settings! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:33:45 pm

Perhaps the 14.04 solution might work?:

PasswordThingySolutions.jpg

The askubuntu thread in its entirety is well worth mulling over:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/495957/ ... ring-popup

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:51:24 pm

Strange - my passwords and keys looks like this!

MBMz10

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:20:42 am

Finston Pickle wrote:Strange - my passwords and keys looks like this!

I can only guess that mine (screen shots) look different because I have accessed and stored passwords for my NAS and some in the Chromium Browser.
See the last screenshot of mine on page 2 of this thread from my VM looks more like yours does as does from page 1 the Zorin 9 screen shot series.
In fact the Zorin 9 one looks the same as yours to me with exception to the order of the last 2 entries!

Below is a Fresh Zorin 12 Core Install in a VM, Looks like Finston Pickle Password Keys!
Zorin12CoreVMPassKeyFresh.png

The only thing I have done here is go through the procedure outlined on page 2 of this thread and rebooted, I couldn't tell any difference when I logged in after the reboot.

What apps are causing the keyring to pop up?
I was using auto login on my Linux Mint 18.1 (Ubuntu 16.04) and was always having to enter PW to access my NAS, I changed it to require PW at login and now once logged in I told it the first time to remember NAS PW forever and it no longer asks for PW to the NAS. I enter my PW to login and that's it.

MBMz10

Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:30:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi MBMz10, I think I am still lagging behind in my OS explorations - I keep forgetting about Utilities - Too much time on earlier Zorin's and Settings! :lol:

Tell me about it, I started the wrong VM for the screen shots above and wondered why I couldn't even find Passwords and Keys, LOL :oops:

I must say that I'm not much of a menu fan other than open it and start typing works rather well and has become my usual practice if app isn't on my dock.

MBMz10

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:16:15 am

I did some testing, I installed Zorin 12.1 Core, chose 'requiring my PW' to login, on hardware, then opened keys. I did not update the system after installing Zorin 12.1.
I rebooted each time a change was made, evidenced by the time on clock.

1 Z12CoreFreshFirstLogin.png
First Login machine not used for anything at this stage

Then I created 'Bookmarks' to the NAS and opened keys

2 2ndBootAfterMapDrivesNAS.png
Notice in right hand side the entry to NAS

Next I deleted the 'Login' key

3 4thBootDeleteLoginKey.png
Delete Login key on left hand side

4 RefreshrestartedPasKeyAfteDeleteLogin.png
Login "Key" is missing altogether

Rebooted again and recreated my Bookmarks

5 5thBootPWShowUpAfterRe-enterinFileManager.png
I have gone to the NAS again and logged into it with 'remember forever' once again and the entry is recreated on the right hand side as well as the 'Login' key on the left hand side

Each time I rebooted I had to enter my password to login to the session and never noticed anything different at this point, only when trying to get to the NAS did things visibly change.

I would has at a guess that you likely could do the same and just re-create you passwords like I did and it might solve your issue however only you can make this choice and I accept no responsibility for the consequences.

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:11:59 pm

Just noticed (even though it disappeared months ago) that my keyring thingy has given up the ghost and lets me into any app I select. Just the way I wanted it!!

Was it due to updates - or my ignoring it and clicking through anyway? I don't really care.