This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

how to create folder shortcuts in zorin 12.1 ?

balaya

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:53:38 am

Hi all

how to create folder shortcuts in zorin 12.1 , please advise

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28:12 am

Menu | right-click application - either 'Add to Favourites/Favorites' (which places shortcut in the panel) or 'Add to Desktop'.

abctmp88

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49:49 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Menu | right-click application - either 'Add to Favourites/Favorites' (which places shortcut in the panel) or 'Add to Desktop'.

Thanks Swarfendor!
but...
I am NOT talking about a program shortcut
I am talking about a "folder" shortcut
e.g. /usr/share/applications/

Is it possible to create the shortcut of the folder "/usr/share/applications/" on the desktop?

Thanks for any kind of help!

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41:25 am

Not sure if it is possible without changing permissions and potential security issues.

MBMz10

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33:56 am

In 12.1, browse to the folder and just drag it to the Desktop worked for me.
If you want it in the File Manager as a shortcut same thing, just drag to the side bar and you will notice a new entry (New Bookmark) appear under 'Rubbish Bin'. You can then right click and rename etc.
DragFolder.png
You can see the "new Bookmark" entry as the mouse nears the side bar, once dropped it will use the folders current name

MBMz10

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56:59 am

Just checked and dragging to the desktop of /usr/share/applications didn't work, just made a copy of the contents by the look of it same with sudo nautilus in terminal for root permissions, opps.

The side bar of the file manager seems to work OK though.

abctmp88

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49:51 am

dragging NOT work for me
-> nautilus say that I don't have the permission to do so

MBMz10

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:02:28 pm

OK, strange! I just opened 'files' browsed to the /usr/share/applications folder and dragged it sideways to the side bar no issue at all.
When I installed Zorin I create a user and then auto login to that account!
Think I can drag one of my networked folders over to the side also from memory.