This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Super/win key not working

Link0126

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59:58 am

Hi, my super key is not working at all. I found this solution online for ubuntu based systems

http://askubuntu.com/questions/129755/k ... 136#138136

but unfortunately the same options under "typing" are not available in Zorin. I can't figure out how to change the setting "Meta is mapped to Left Win key."

any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47:21 pm

Hi, that is down to the fact that Zorin 12 is using Gnome Shell - if you are wanting shortcut for menu it is Alt+ F1. If you want to have Meta (Super) key access you may need to try Cairo-Dock DE but not necessarily going to work in 12 - I tried it before installing 12.1 to get GnoMenu - installed GnoMenu but it would not play - this is down to the fact that the Linux Kernel has gone way beyond what defunct projects are compatible with. You may have some success with 'Applications' Menu in Cairo-Dock but been a while so don't take my word for it - Applications Menu in Cairo Dock will look similar to Win2k menu or 'whisker' menu in XFCE DE. ;) :D

MBMz10

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:02:24 pm

This is on Zorin 12.1 with Gnome Tweak Tool installed. Assuming your on Zorin 12 or 12.1 and assuming they are both the same regarding this.
Found this setting in the Tweak Tool. Tweak Tool on the left showing the setting and Software on the right showing the installed Tweak Tool and the search used.
TweakTool.png

Also when I press my Left "Windows" key I get this (yours may look different but you get the idea) however this was disabled after choosing the option above. When you say your "Windows" key does nothing?
WinKeyFromDesktop.png

This system has been modified or changed but no idea now of what exactly I have done to it as it is a test install.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:12:39 pm

Hi MBMz10,

I think quite a lot of migrators from Windows will have expected the Super Key to launch the menu which it did back in Zorin 6 and earlier if memory serves me correctly and as the Zorin brothers tweaked GnoMenu it slowly got phased out but was possible if you installed Cairo-Dock DE, then GnoMenu, then the additional add-ons to Cairo Dock that had a specific GnoMenu script that allowed GnoMenu to be present and work with the Left Super Key as I demonstrated in one of my Vimeo videos. In 12 it is a case of Alt+ F1 to launch the Zorin Menu. I think I read somewhere on the net that you can somehow remap keys but if you do you could upset other shortcut keys. Its a bit like a piece of software I used to use at work that had something like Ctrl+ Shift+ E - which was also used by another App - the latter being the one you wanted to launch! DOH! :lol:

MBMz10

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43:47 pm

Gidday Swarfendor437, The OP stated super key not working at all, not sure if that means its broken or just no response in Zorin, I presume the later. I suspect the real question is how to make the menu work with it like in Windows as would seem an expectation for most people coming over from Windows as you also noted, given Zorin is aimed at this demographic.I do hear them!

Hopefully just as Zorin enabled the right click in the menu this could be addressed also as I would imagine many potential Windows migrators might not get past the 'live session' upon discovering some of these most basic functions do not work the same. Likely many people would expect some learning curve and issues down the road but get put off during the test drive. No sale. I started with Linux Mint Cinnamon about 4 or 5 years ago from Win XP and the basic day to day operation and use of it was OK, then solved more challenging issues as they arose.

If I need to contort 3 fingers to open something, well I think a few clicks into the menu might be just as easy but each to there own. I love Cairo Dock BTW, just hope someone will continue with the project into the future.
Nothing like a good key binding conflict to play havoc with your head, love the questions Compiz poses when this happens. I once clicked on 'rotate screen' or such and it took me ages just to get the mouse back to the button again :?

Link0126, hope the screenshots above help out.