This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED Ihave lost the Times New Roman font from Open Office

Finston Pickle

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14:55 pm

I seem to have lost Times New Roman from Open Office (Which came with Times New Roman fonts as standard) around the same time that I tried to introduce MS core fonts to all my applications by using:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
(I am not certain that I ran the installer by only typing the above)
Then using:
sudo fc-cache -f -v

There seemed a lot of terminal activity, after typing the last bit, but the only thing that I have noticed is No Times New Roman in Open Office anymore. Most strange!

What did I do wrong?

Thanks F.P.

Finston Pickle

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:08:37 pm

I found a post online that you should download ttf-mscorefonts-installer via synaptic - otherwise the agree to condition box does not appear.

When I used the terminal, I did not see a conditions box - which I was expecting - so carried on.

I have now reloaded ttf-mscorefonts-installer using synaptic - everything went OK - and the conditions box was ticked this time!.

Do I still need to do that sudo fc-cache -f -v bit?

Thanks F.P.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:21:26 pm

There have been some licence issues I think recently and from recollection some Wine Apps that used to do this no longer do. As for that code bit I never have had to use such code. I did reply to your post and queried as to what is wrong with the Free alternatives already present?

Alternatives to Times New Roman.jpg

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03:01 am

I would probably have used one of these fonts - If I had known about them earlier.

Thanks for the info.

Open Office is a slog to install (no .deb ), so will probably go with Libre Office next time.

I think I went with Open Office originally because it seemed better able to use .doc for documents storage and to be able to import .docx documents - but I am a little hazy on this point now. The drop down box headers also seemed more attractive to me.

However, It would still be nice to get Times New Roman back in my copy of Open Office.

Having finally installed MS fonts (separate thread), would refreshing the cache help (and how do you do that, if required).

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56:41 pm

Now you have lost me on that last point! As regards .docx you just need to change the default save format. LibreOffice was created from the lead developers that left Sun Microsystems after the Oracle takeover, they now work for The Document Foundation and also took on-board another key developer that used to develop go-oo. LibreOffice can also read Visio files so LibreOffice is generally the better of the two. ;)

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09:35 pm

Thanks for the update - Libre Office does seem to be the one to go for.

I am using the fonts that you identified and some Times fonts that appear in various applications.

I am not certain whether installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer via synaptic actually made any difference - most strange, but no issue with me - I will mark this thread SOLVED.