This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

System76 Lemur Fresh Install WiFi Issues

sthomas

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:17:52 am

Hello,

I've tried doing a fresh install of Zorin OS 12 on my System76 Lemur (this year's model) and am having a few issues trying to make it work. I thought that since it shipped with Ubuntu 16.04 I wouldn't have any issues stripping off Unity and replacing everything with Zorin. I can connect via Ethernet to the network, but I cannot connect via WiFi. As a matter of fact, WiFi isn't even showing up as an option. Also, the taskbar is pinned to the top of the screen as though I selected Gnome rather than the default and I don't know how to move it back to the bottom.

If it helps, I've got Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4 for a CPU.

Shane

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:14:03 pm

:D Install Synaptic Package Manager from the Terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt install synaptic

Launch Synaptic and in the search filter near middle/top of interface and search for gnome-tweak-tool - install that, launch it and on left pane of Tweak Tool interface select Extensions - scroll down to turn on 'Zorin Panel'

As for wifi, connect using your wired connection if possible, boot up, press the Left Shift Key to see the hidden GRUB menu and select Advanced Options - 2nd option, then 2nd option of subsequent menu.

Select DPKG to check for missing packages - after completion, TURN OFF machine and power up again.

Keep us posted. ;)

sthomas

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05:25 pm

Well I tried that, but the wireless still isn't registering as an option. Under the Network section in settings, all it gives me an option for is Wired and Network Proxy. The default WiFi driver may not work yet with this Intel Wireless chip. It's the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 with Bluetooth. Should I install the Windows driver for it and run it in Wine or something else? Even the default Linux WiFi driver wiki doesn't have this card listed yet as supported. Maybe it's too new?

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39:49 pm

Hi, thanks for the additional information - read this thread from post #8 onwards:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2354736

sthomas

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48:48 pm

Hi, tried those commands. The first looking to add in the hwe didn't execute. Terminal says it's an impossible command. The next two do execute, but do not fix anything that I can see, even with a reboot. Intel does offer the firmware for the wireless chip and drivers for Windows 7/8/10. Is it possible to use that? I've tried using the native Install Windows Wireless Drivers and nothing I download from Intel's site has a .inf file.

sthomas

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:37:17 pm

I did more digging and found Intel's wiki for Linux drivers: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... rs/iwlwifi. At the bottom, it makes me wonder if Bluetooth is hindering the Wireless side of the chip. Bluetooth actually works on the device. Haven't tested it, but it's active and I can see other Bluetooth devices. Is there a way to permanently disable or at least prevent Bluetooth from running to see if that fixes it? I'm not sure how to disable it in the way they're talking about. Still in the crawling phase of my Linux knowledge.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53:52 pm

Hi, most linux distributions appear to be pre-designed with Notebook users in mind so that Bluetooth is active at startup - open startup applications and remove anything to do with 'Blue Tooth' - can't check this at present as at work. ;) :D

sthomas

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:39:58 am

Bluetooth isn't listed as a Startup application. Should I find a way to hard code it in? Is there a way to disable Bluetooth thorough Terminal but not have it trip immediately into Airplane mode? If there was a way for me to break that connection, I may be able to have WiFi be an option.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:33:12 pm

Hi, Can you start System Monitor then if not open, switch to processes - Bluetooth should be showing near the top - right-click and select 'Kill Process' and see if there is any change before looking at further solutions (if available!) ;) :D