This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Difficulty Loading NVIDIA drivers in Zorin 12.1 Ultimate

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57:19 pm

I ran:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-367 to install NVIDIA drivers, as suggested by my Kratos laptop vendor.

After having what looked like a good install, I found in the terminal the following message (I got no response from clicking on OK at the bottom of the message):

“Configuring lightdm:

A display manager is a program that provides graphical login capabilities for the X Window System.

Only one display manager can manage a given X server, but multiple display manager packages are installed. Please select which display manager should run by default.

Multiple display managers can run simultaneously if they are configured to manage different servers; to achieve this, configure the display managers accordingly, edit each of their init scripts in /etc/init.d and disable the check for a default display manager.”

Looking in /etc/init.d I can find no obvious display manager files to modify or indication of which are fighting to be default.

As I am using either NVIDIA or X-org drivers for my laptop, what would the display managers be called?

P.S. I had previously successfully loaded the NVIDIA drivers in Zorin 12 (and used the NVIDIA GUI to change between NVIDIA or X-org drivers for my laptop) and have now had this problem with Zorin 12.1 and I am the latest Linux Kernel and updates.

HELP!! F.P.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25:14 pm

Basically the only difference is that when you install any Proprietary Driver it wants to replace GDM (Gnome Desktop Manager) with LDM (Light Desktop Manager) - the only difference from what I can tell from personal experience is that when you install nVidia drivers it drops to LDM and you get an Ubuntu type boot screen with 4 dots that light up during boot - you no longer get the glowing Z - that's why I much prefer to use Nouveau drivers and leave nVidia clear of my rig! ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:37:16 pm

There is no sign of the NVIDIA GUI, when using the Zorin search box and searching NVIDIA - perhaps it did not do the full install.

I think that I used ideas at https://zorinos.com/help/activate-graphics-card/ last time or perhaps Synaptic Package Manager to install the NVIDIA 367 driver.

As you say, the NVIDIA 367 Driver seems to be bad news.

At least before, I could swap between the two, using the NVIDIA GUI.

Now I don't really know which driver is being used - I will wait to see four dots or pulsing Z on start up - it is that random.

What happens to a failed install, I wonder - is it there somewhere or never changed anything?

Xarius

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29:46 pm

I've had terrible luck with the 367 driver. I added the Graphics Drivers PPA and installed the 378 driver. It works significantly better.

If you'd like to give that a try:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

You should then be able to select the 378 driver from "Additional Drivers"

Finston Pickle

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03:40 am

Xarius, you said "You should then be able to select the 378 driver from "Additional Drivers"".

Where would I find "Additional Drivers", please? I have not found this feature yet - or, if I have found it (it sounds familiar) - I can't remember where it is.

Thanks F.P.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20:35 pm

Open Software Updater, click on 'Settings' then last tab - but need to double check when I get back from work. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:59:59 pm

Thanks, Swarf - I found it again last night, by accident.

I Will give NVIDIA 378 a try (378.13 seems to be the latest one) - At least the NVIDIA GUI allows me to swap between divers - although I guess "Additional Drivers" lets you do that as well!