This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Where can I find the Suspend/ Sleep option

MrTaveira

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20:46 pm

Greetings everyone;

A few weeks ago I decided to install Zorin OS 12 and to be honest I really enjoyed this distro, but the only problem I've found with Zorin is that there isn't an option to put the PC to sleep/ suspend.

When I open the "power option" on the Zorin menu, I can only find shutdown and reboot! And I don't see any sleep option on the menu, like on Windows, Mint, Ubuntu, etc.
So my question is, how can I add a sleep option to the menu or where can I find it?

Thank you for your help

Chad

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:48:48 am

I'm not sure whether zorin already has a setting that allows this (only been using it a few days myself), but if it doesn't you could install this gnome extension which should let you do that: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... nd-button/

MrTaveira

Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51:06 pm

Thank you! I'm gonna give it a try ;)

Finston Pickle

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37:29 pm

Zorin Ultimate support told me:

"By default, Zorin OS goes into sleep mode when the lid closes. If you wish to allow it to Hibernate when your laptop lid closes, please press Ctrl+Alt+T and enter this command to install the Tweak Tool: sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
Afterwards, please open Zorin menu > search & open "Tweak Tool" and go to the Power tab. Under the "laptop lid is closed" section please select the Hibernate option.
If the Hibernate option is not enabled by default, you can follow this guide to enable it in Zorin OS: https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-h ... rnate.html"

I have not tried it myself yet - but I would be interested to know if "Hibernate" can be made to work and what effect on battery life it has - My suspended power consumption, which I thought should be minimal, is certainly not minimal (about two days, laptop lid closed, from full battery). I wonder what it is that keeps using the power? Mouse dongle, WiFi card, USB stick, "background" apps?