This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Laptop suspended power consumption

Finston Pickle

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:07:25 am

I would be interested to know if "Hibernate" can be made to work and what effect on laptop battery life it has.

My suspended power consumption, which I thought should be minimal, is certainly not minimal (about two/three days, laptop lid closed, from full battery).

I wonder what it is that keeps using the power? Mouse dongle, WiFi card, USB stick, "background" apps? Can they be safely switched off?

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:03:42 pm

Yes, services running in the background such as wifi and bluetooth can drain the battery; sadly GNU/Linux is the loser between it and Windows in respect of Notebook Battery life - something to do with the kernel I think - I seem to remember there is a Gnome Shell Extension which provides a 'switch' for the panel to turn wifi off without having to click too many times. I don't know about hibernation.

In the meantime, please read this thread from askubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/761394/w ... -it#763516

Finston Pickle

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52:53 pm

Again above my pay grade I'm afraid, Swarf.

Interestingly, Secure Boot had been disabled by Entroware on my Zorin 12 laptop - but it does not seemed to have helped me.

It seems amazing that suspend does not drastically reduce power consumption at all - I loose about 20% of full laptop power overnight whilst suspended!

Would "Hibernate" be any better, I wonder?