This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) DNS server settings for faster response

Finston Pickle

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:13:56 am

I was reading in “Web User” that your PC DNS server settings override your router's DNS server settings, which override your ISP's DNS server settings - as to which DNS server you are using. Unfortunately “Web user” is written with a Windows bias with few Linux tips.

Strangely my expensive Zorin 12 laptop is slower at getting a response from websites and forums than my cheap Zorin 9 laptop. I would like to speed up my Zorin 12 laptop internet response - it waits for a long time for a response. Both laptops are with BT as my ISP and the situation is the same using four different browsers on each machine.

I wondered if changing the DNS server settings on my Zorin 12 laptop would be possible (apparently Linux Kodachi does - allowing switching between seven different DNS servers, including DNS crypt and Comodo DNS) and if there was a GUI application which would allow me to do so. Also what would be a good DNS server to use - I used to get a very fast service from ID net on my old Windows XP desktop PC.

OR Can something else be influencing my Zorin 12 laptop internet response speeds?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:03:13 pm

Has a 'bot' infected your machine?

See what ports are open when you run 'gufw'. I was going to post a link to an article from pcworld.com but firewall here won't let me so better to be safe and not provide as it could have been infected.

The 'de facto' DNS for faster internet access is Open DNS - you can sign up for a free account or a paid one. The Primary is 208.67.222.222 and secondary 208.67.220.220/

Finston Pickle

Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:35:42 pm

Well, I got "firewall off" which is not surprising, as I have not switched it on - I looked at it but did not know what to do.

Say I was to switch it on - how would I find which ports are open?

Actually, looking in "report", I find a shed load of ports mentioned:

139, 1977, 32400, 32469, 445, 12012, 137, 138, 1900, 1901, 32410, 32413, 32414, 41005, 41214, 44655, 48686, 49182, 51653, 631 and 68 - perhaps more the report would not stay still.

Things that don't look familiar include:

avahi-daemon, dhclient, nmbd, smbd.

I did download an old copy of Print Artist 8 .iso from some heritage site for my old Wndows XP machine, which used its own downloader rather than my browser - I wasn't too happy about that happening.

I think that things might have slowed down appreciably after that.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:07:33 pm

All I know is that for most users, you only have to switch the firewall on, disappointing that Zorin don't have it switched on by default. Only if you are running a serve do you need to block additional ports - read on an Ubuntu wiki. Apps should advise if you need to enable port in firewall such as Clementine remote for Android.

Finston Pickle

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:27:30 pm

Thanks - I will switch the firewall on - as you say, you might have thought that it would be switched on by default, if it is that simple.

Finston Pickle

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:08:06 pm

It seems as though things are back to running as they were.

The only thing I have done is switch on the firewall and delete the flower settings thingy for my BT router's FON option (something that allows third parties to use part of my bandwidth by paying BT, apparently), which had mysteriously appeared (the settings flower thingy, that is).

I raised the Bot possibility with Zorin 12 Ultimate support - no reply on that front yet.

I will perhaps experiment in the DNS server settings of my router, which appear in Zorin 12 settings > network > my router's name > flower thingy. I think that this can force them to be used in line with what I have read.

I will try Open DNS. What other good free DNS server options are out there, I wonder. OR Any high speed BT/ Google ones?

The only thing is:

Do I use the ip4 or ip6 settings - or both - I am getting out of my depth here!

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:30:53 pm

IPv4 is all you need to be concerned with. Google alleged works a fast DNS but you have to be using Chrome from what I have read.

Finston Pickle

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22:40 pm

My Zorin 12 Laptop has now achieved a far more satisfactory response time when browsing websites without changing any DNS server settings at all.

What seemed to make a difference was reverting back to using the Zorin O/S start page (Google) search engine in Firefox, (I was using DuckDuckGo on my Slimjet – Chrome - browser) combined with enabling Ghostery to stop all trackers. I also use Ublock Origin, Ubuntu modifications and theme and font changer. Everything also looks the way I want it to - a good result.

Having said that, I did have a massive O/S update the other evening, so perhaps that helped.

Everything is satisfyingly crisper, response wise and all the images are coming through on time - just like they did on Zorin 9.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:11:32 pm

If you want quick browsing using Google search engine without the spyware use https://ixquick.com. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed May 03, 2017 3:01:36 pm

Thanks for the ixquick tip.

I have had it as a favourite for some time, but have not used it recently - I will re-investigate it.