This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How Can I Get My Zorin Settings Back?

opticyclic

Tue May 09, 2017 7:52:46 pm

I read an article about Ubuntu Kylin "Make Ubuntu Look Like Windows 10" https://fossbytes.com/how-to-make-your- ... indows-10/ and tried it out.
TL;DR It doesn't look anything like Windows 10. :roll:
Zorin looks much better and Cinnamon with the Windows 10 Transformation pack comes even closer.

Anyway, I uninstalled it but I lost the following settings that I am having trouble getting back to Zorin defaults:
  • Grub
  • Plymouth
  • Login/Lock screen
  • Terminal colours

Is there a way to download and apply these default settings again?

There are some deb files in the cache:
/var/cache/apt/archives/zorin-appearance_1.1.1_all.deb

Swarfendor437

Wed May 10, 2017 12:41:26 am

What version of Zorin?

opticyclic

Wed May 24, 2017 3:10:41 pm

Hmm. I'm not quite sure why I didn't get a notification of this reply.

Anyway. v12 core.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 25, 2017 1:15:42 am

OK, Zorin appearance will include elements in respect of the panel, icons, fonts. If you reinstalled you will be back to the default appearance. To tweak it if you never had it installed you will need to first install synaptic package manager, then gnome-tweak-tool, especially if you want to add extensions to the Gnome shell, including some Chrome extensions to Firefox for seamless integration of adding extensions via Web browser. If you want to play safe, get the appearance you want then create a full backup using redo backup.

opticyclic

Thu May 25, 2017 5:59:17 pm

So gnome-tweak-tool can help with the lock screen although I'm not sure where the image is.

It can't modify Grub, Plymouth or the terminal colours though.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 26, 2017 11:47:23 am

Hi, in respect of the lock screen, there is an Extension you have to install to activate to stop it from working (that said following recent updates I see it is back again) - will get back tonight with yours and other forum members responses needed (was worn out yesterday so sorry guys!)

Swarfendor437

Sat May 27, 2017 5:26:46 pm

In respect of GRUB what is the issue exactly? With regards Plymouth have you installed ldm instead of GDM? If you have nVidia drivers installed this will affect the presence/absence of glowng Z - in respect of Terminal colours it is Edit | Profile Preferences:

Terminal colour change.jpg