This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to chrome cast ZorinOS desktop to tv [SOLVED]

tybuzz67

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:45:40 am

hello everybody,

I am been using Zorin for a month now and so far it is a great OS. It does resembles a lot like Windows and I am impress it is quite customizable.

But there is somewhat difficulty in chrome casting it to my TV. I do know that it is not the problem with the OS but I think it is with the chromium browser. Every time I click "Cast" in the browser a message pops that read "No Cast destination found..." I seem quite in a quandary because with the dual boot Windows 7 I have no problem whatsoever with casting my Windows 7 to the TV using the chrome browser. I mean it is already set up and I use the same WIFI network as my tablet and Windows as when I use Zorin OS.

anybody can help me I will appreciate it :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:52:40 am

I know when using mobile phone to control clementine certain ports have to be open in the firewall - is it the same for Windows? Check your firewall rules in Windows and apply settings to your Zorin install. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:05:29 pm

Take a look at the reply with 76 votes here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/324236/ ... chromecast

tybuzz67

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:37:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Take a look at the reply with 76 votes here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/324236/ ... chromecast

nope the above suggestion didn't work.

I typed the command iptables in the terminal, there were no errors so i rebooted chromium but I still got the "No cast destination" message...

tybuzz67

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:45:44 am

@Swarfendor437,
actually no big deal if I can't cast in Zorin because I can do it on Windows. I tried rebooting in Chromecast in the Google Home App/setup/reboot using my tablet but it still did not detect my laptop.

Thank you Swarfendor437 for your suggestion and effort :) . I really appreciate it bro...

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:25:29 pm

No worries. I am also wanting to do it so keen to pursue this myself. ;)

tybuzz67

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:56:23 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:No worries. I am also wanting to do it so keen to pursue this myself. ;)

Swarfendor437

This issue is solved. I think it was because due to a few times of app and system updates that fixed it. (I probably had an older version of Chromium during installation) I just noticed one day while I was viewing a full screen of youtube video that I notice the cast icon on the top right side of the screen. I set-up the chromecast and tried the icon and it worked..hehe it pays to be patient sometimes... thanks Zorin developers :)

Finston Pickle

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:35:32 pm

tybuzz67, interesting thread.

Like Swarf, I have been investigating casting to my smart Panasonic Vierra TV from Zorin 12 Ultimate for some time.

I can already connect PLEX on my laptop to my TV using a Roku box via the rarPLEX channel.

My TV has DLNA server settings (selected on), which I understand should allow casting to it.

Can I cast from Chrome to the TV directly using the DLNA feature? if so how?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38:06 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:tybuzz67, interesting thread.

Like Swarf, I have been investigating casting to my smart Panasonic Vierra TV from Zorin 12 Ultimate for some time.

I can already connect PLEX on my laptop to my TV using a Roku box via the rarPLEX channel.

My TV has DLNA server settings (selected on), which I understand should allow casting to it.

Can I cast from Chrome to the TV directly using the DLNA feature? if so how?

Hi Finston, Please start your own thread to avoid confusion to visitors! Thanks. ;) :D

[Consider yourself 'nudged'!]

Finston Pickle

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:01:08 pm

Sorry! - new thread coming.