This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Problems deleting - trash-1000 files

Finston Pickle

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:27:03 pm

I've just been doing some updates to my car .m4a music files.

I was going to transfer then from my old Windows XP machine (where my master files are kept (I use i-player to create the files) to my Zorin 12.1 Ultimate, Kratos laptop - which I would use to update the car USB sticks.

I put the update files onto the USB stick and copied them onto my Kratos laptop. I did a little editing on the Kratos. I then thought that I would delete all the old tracks on the stick (as it was nearly full) and then paste the new files into the same USB stick to go back to the Windows XP machine.

I couldn't delete the files - or I could, but they were replaced by a trash-1000 file of the same size (which resisted all attempts to remove it, including gksudo nautilus).

I had to use my old Windows XP desktop to get rid of the trash-1000 files on the original USB stick, delete the files from the car sticks and do the file transfers to the car sticks.

Surprisingly enough, the trash-1000 file reappeared when I put the original USB stick into my Zorin 12.1 laptop.

What it it with trash-1000 files and how do you remove them, please?

In desperation, I reformatted the USB stick in nautilus. After reformatting the USB stick had disappeared from nautilus. What is going on here? Will it remount the next time I put it in the laptop?

Finston Pickle

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:57:55 pm

I've solved one part of my queries.

I tried to use Disks on my Zorin 12.1 laptop to reformat the USB stick - it said there was some error and could not progress.

I tried formatting to exFAT on my Windows XP desktop (I really wanted FAT32, but this was not available - as it is a 64Gb stick), but no go - some error mentioned.

I tried the old Linux trick of "sudo mkdosfs /dev/sdc1 -s 16 -F 32" and bingo in a blink the stick was reformatted to Fat32!

Brilliant!!

Finston Pickle

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:18:42 pm

It seems that I have found a solution to the trash-1000 files issue - perhaps many knew this already. I will try this in future.

I believe that they are created if you try to delete files from a mounted drive - USB stick, external drive etc. - in case you wish to restore them. The deleted files are not sent to wastebasket as this is on your laptop or PC's drive, but instead are kept in a wastebasket equivalent on the mounted drive, trash-1000.

I found:

"If you want to permanently delete files without “.Trash-1000” folders appearing, try the following

Select the files then hold the Shift button then press Delete.

This will permanently delete the files and you will not be able to recover it anymore."

Whether this would work on the trash-1000 folder itself is anybody's guess.

P.S. I have just found this:

"Just go to your normal trash and empty it. That will remove all ".Trash-1000" folders on any currently mounted file system."

Finston Pickle

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19:37 am

I just tangled with this one again.

I tried the "If you want to permanently delete files without “.Trash-1000” folders appearing, try the following:

Select the files then hold the Shift button then press Delete.

This will permanently delete the files and you will not be able to recover it anymore." workaround - no joy!

In some desperation, I tried the "Just go to your normal trash and empty it. That will remove all ".Trash-1000" folders on any currently mounted file system." workaround.

It worked - but there is still a pesky “.Trash-1000” folder - admittedly with minimal content.

Who can rid me of this troublesome Folder!!

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:12:10 pm

See if this helps - note one poster has put 'sodo' instead of 'sudo'!:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/282332/ ... -it#282334

Finston Pickle

Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18:20 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

Too abstract for me, I'm afraid - I will stick with a mimimum content trash-1000 file.