This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't boot on Zorin anymore (Dual boot)

KennedyS

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:16:19 am

Hello,

I'm on a dual boot with Zorin 12 and Windows 10, both on my ssd

Recently, due to a windows update that crashed, I couldn't boot both on zorin and on Windows (error: unknown filesystem). Hopefully, I'm able to access Windows after reinstalling grub from an usb live Ubuntu. Sadly, I can't access to Zorin, when I boot my screen toggle on/idle a few times before going off. I've tried to reinstall grub again but didn't fix anything. I also managed to access my files throught the recovery mode so I was wondering if there was a way to fix Zorin or do I have to reinstall everything ?

Cordially,

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:04:03 pm

Reinstalling GRUB may not necessarily resolve not booting into Windows10. Do you have Windows 10 boot media? You may need to boot off of that to get your Windows repaired and to repair BCD file to boot into Windows 10. As for Zorin, I would switch in BIOS TO 'Legacy' Mode - some BIOS's have hybrid mode - and boot off Live DVD/USB of Zorin 12 to get any crucial data such as documents/photos/music/downloads etc. Once you have Windows 10 restored I would follow Matthew Moore's method of dual-booting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

mdiemer

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:21:19 pm

I would check on the Windows 10 forum (I believe it's tenforums.com) to figure out how to boot into Windows 10. I only run Windows 7, won't touch anything beyond that. I use the Macrium Rescue CD, which has always succeeded in repairing the boot structure. sometimes just using the installation dvd will work, but I usually need to use the repair disc. Of course, you need to have a working computer to make it. It's free.