This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Question About Geary Email

mdiemer

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:38:22 am

I ran into problems sending emails with Geary. I installed Thunderbird, and would like to close the Geary account. But their method of doing this has a problem. You're supposed to click on the minus button under accounts. But it's greyed-out. Geary is difficult to contact or get support from. anyone else have this problem? Should I even worry about it? I just prefer not to have loose ends. If I'm not going to use a service, I would rather not keep it open. Anyone have any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:02:07 pm

Geary mail is just a mail client like Thunderbird except it only supports I APOLOGISE and not POP.

Xarius

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:08:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Geary mail is just a mail client like Thunderbird except it only supports I APOLOGISE and not POP.

I would imagine Swarf actually meant to say "...it only supports IMAP and not POP."

Xarius

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13:21 pm

As Swarf said though, Geary is just an email client. It's not an actual email "service" or ISP, or anything like that. If you don't like Geary, you can simply choose not to use it. However, I am curious to know what sort of issues you were having removing your account from Geary, and maybe some more details about how you had issues sending emails in the first place?

Screenshots may be helpful, but make sure not to include any private details on a public forum.

mdiemer

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49:31 pm

Well, it just won't send my emails. It just keeps going around in circles. May be some weird interaction between my ISP and Geary. Too bad, I really liked it. I know it's a desktop client, but I still would like to close my account if possible. I emailed support, so far haven't heard back. The issue with closing it is, in the account section, there is a + sign, and - sign (plus sign, minus sign). You hit the + sign to add an account. You hit the - sign to close your account. But the - sign is grayed-out, so you can't select it. Weird.

MBMz10

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21:44 pm

I assume your clicking on your account to highlight it first before trying to hit the - sign? Assuming that is how it works, but not seen the interface for some time!
I couldn't get the dam thing to work either but I think that was on Zorin 11, some time ago.

mdiemer

Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55:54 pm

Assumption correct. Tried everything I could think of. Looks like it may be a bug.

MBMz10

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:36:17 am

Maybe try creating another dummy account or perhaps "sudo geary' in the terminal but I have never tried either of these myself!
Personally I would be a little apprehensive about un-installing as I think I've done that before with Geary and had other issues afterwards.
Dam, just when you had it all working so well...

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:47:06 pm

This page states how to uninstall Geary:

https://www.liberiangeek.net/2013/03/ge ... in-ubuntu/

Might be worth doing a full backup before proceeding though! ;) :D

mdiemer

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01:59 pm

I don't want to uninstall Geary, I just want to close my account.

I heard back from Geary folks. They did suggest a way, but it's complicated. They also pointed out, as did Swarf, that it's desktop email, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. If it's not an open online account, there should be no security risk, right? So i'm thinking of just keeping it open, using Tbird, and maybe have a go at figuring out why it's not sending my emails.

MBM: Zorin 12 Lite is a blast. I'm on it all the time. A slight glitch with an email client is nothing. This is the fastest system I have ever had. I have to force myself to run my other distros. so they won't feel neglected. I do like to keep three or more going, in case one of them tanks, I can jump right in with another one. But for now anyway, Z-12-lite is the apple of my eye.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42:33 am

Going back to Geary - Try Thunderbird with IMAP settings (if your ISP/email provider supports it and use autoconfigure - check what ports the smtp is using - there is a possible 2 ports for IMAP and it could be that Geary is choosing the wrong one?

https://www.siteground.com/tutorials/em ... -ports.htm

mdiemer

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18:36 pm

Great idea, Swarf. I do have T-bird set to IMAP, so I can try that.

mdiemer

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02:15 pm

I checked: on TB, IN=143. Out=587. Both are default.
On Geary, IN=993, OUT=587. So, the outs are the same, the ins differ. Should I change the IN port on Geary?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:36:51 pm

No clearly there is an issue with Geary out is for sending, in is receiving. Have you checked authentication settings?

mdiemer

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58:40 pm

That's a thought. It does frequently ask for my keyring and password...

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:35:31 am

Did some more searching and one link claimed how to solve send issue but no mention on actual page it referred to. Found a client I did not know existed:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/inst ... app-ubuntu

mdiemer

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:56:33 pm

Thanks. Trojita may be worth a look. I was looking longingly at Nylas a while back, but then I saw that they keep your emails on their servers. Not for me. Very attractive, though

I'll keep researching the Geary problem in the meantime...

mdiemer

Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:05:57 pm

I decided to just uninstall Geary, as I couldn't find much info on why it won't send my emails. Since it's a desktop client, I don't have an "open account" online that could be exploited, so this was the best solution. Although not really a solution in the proper sense, as I can't get Geary to work for me, or delete my account. Perhaps I could open a new one, paying more attention to settings during setup, but at this point I'll just stay with the old standard, TB.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24:19 am

Hi, OK - will mark this thread as [CLOSED]. ;) :D