This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cant Install Printer

nate_o23

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03:57 pm

Please help a newbie to install my printer
I am trying to install and use my Brother HL-L2300D on my computer loaded with Zorin operating system.
My computer recognises the printer when it is plugged in but I cant get anything to actually print. I tried Installing my printer using the list provided by zorin but my model was not on the list. I have tried downloading the linux driver from the brother website but the instructions made no sense to me. I know nothing about linux which is why I use Zorin because even an idiot like me can figure it out... well except for the printer.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:27:53 pm

Hi, please go here:

viewtopic.php?f=0&t=9785&p=48475&hilit=Brother+printers#p48475

and scroll down to 'add printers' section then scroll down to the Brother printers section.

Keep us posted.

nate_o23

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:21:03 pm

OK I looked at that topic but I have a question. How do I Open Synaptic package manager?

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24:28 pm

Assuming you have installed Synaptic Package Manager using Swarf's Z12 guide method, you type synaptic above the black Z in the blue hexagon (click the Z first and you will see where to type). Not obvious, was it ? - a little Linux mind game, I'm afraid).

Right click on Synaptic Package Manager and you will see various options - run, desktop icon, favourites etc. I keep mine in Favourites (bottom line) and on the desktop - it is so useful.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29:33 pm

nate_o23 wrote:OK I looked at that topic but I have a question. How do I Open Synaptic package manager?

If you don't have it installed then open Software on right side of menu and search for synaptic and install. You will be asked for your login password in order to give you root (administrator) privileges to install software.

Finston Pickle

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:30:49 pm

I've just remembered that for me

"The tricks were using Synaptic Package Manager to check that CUPS was fully installed (it wasn't); also that SAMBA was installed (it wasn't) and also that lsb was installed (apt-get install lsb did not work even with a gksudo in front of it)."

See my post:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12656

I hope this helps.

shawnj78

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:21:38 am

Posts will very helpful to everyone, thanks