This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problem after insalling zorin os 12.1 lite edu

jeidern

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08:08 am

Good day,
As is mentioned by the topic, I'm running into some trouble after installing zorin os 12.1 lite edu. The usb installer I made was fine. It run fine during installation. Installation also went fine. Problem is, after the installation and rebooting, the system wont' boot to zorin 12. I only see a blank screen with a cursor. I tried editing through grub menu (after searching through the forum, found out how to make it appear with 'shift' key and pressing 'E') with the nomodeset xforcevesa, but was answered with a message saying that there is no "nomodeset" command.
If you guys know of an answer I haven't seen in the forum please point me to it. Thanks.

qnarkill

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52:36 pm

Obviously you tried also just the nomodeset?

jeidern

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00:46 am

Nope, not yet. Hmmm... i'll try... but I would like to be sure where I input that. When I press 'E' the first thing I saw was the GRUB line where I believe a part of the first line says "...ZORIN OS..." sorry I forgot to do a screenshot. Is this where I input the 'nomodeset' line or do I go with the command line option (i think it was ctrl+c)? I tried the 'nomodeset xforcevesa' command on both, the GRUB line and the command line... both returned the same message, that there was no 'nomodeset' command

qnarkill

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29:05 am

jeidern

Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32:47 am

Thanks for the link, helped a lot. Didn't know what I was doing he he. Anyways, I've tried it, nomodeset, nomodeset forcevesa, nomodeset xforcevesa, and even added the forcepae--forcepae that I managed to find in the forums. I am still ending up with a blank screen and a cursor at top left of screen. Live USB works fine though.

qnarkill

Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:14:34 am

Can you access tty by pressing ctrl+alt+f1, or f2-f6?

Or could be sata-problem?
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1997046

jeidern

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29:47 pm

Yep, tty can be accessed. That's where I log in and reboot instead of pressing the physical button of the pc.
Hmmm... sata. I checked the link you gave me and removed the 'quiet splash' commands in grub.
system boots..

Code:
Loading, please wait...
starting version 229
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount .... done.

etc... etc...

Welcome to Zorin OS 12.1!

etc... etc...

(and at the end)

[  OK  ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes. completed startup. p link was shut down...

I'm stuck here...
then black screen. but tty can still be accessed
nothing about sata mentioned.

qnarkill

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:02:43 pm

What hardware do you have? Are you runnin intel igpu?
Code:
lspci |  grep -i vga

jeidern

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32:41 am

For this particular machine (I'm planning to install zOS 12.1 on multiple machine)...

Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Zorin 9 installed on this machine just fine. I put off installing 12 on the unit in question because of time restraints. I went back to Zorin 9. But I still have a few more PCs to take care of so I still want to see if I could make Zorin 12 on units like the unit in question.

qnarkill

Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:55:45 pm

Could you try to hit tty when stuck in boot and run...?
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

jeidern

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:06:10 am

Thanks. I will try and tell you about the results. I'm currently setting up another unit. So it'll take some time before I get to try out what you posted.

qnarkill

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:42:50 am

Oh and reboot after that cmd.

jeidern

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:52:35 am

Hi, I finally got the chance to try out the code and I got this result:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package xserver-xorg-video-intel is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'xserver-xorg-video-intel' has no installation candidate

qnarkill

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:22:53 am

Ok, what if you just try intel drivers?
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentat ... sing-gdebi

jeidern

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:18:26 am

Hi again, took me a while to try out the intel graphics update tool...
Here's a problem, the link you showed me needed me to be inside a GUI but I could only get in tty. Anyways, I still downloaded the update tool to try and run it in terminal in tty1. But before doing that I tried if I had internet in tty1, I tried to "ping" a website to check and it gave me an "...unkown host..." message. I even tried to ping the router/modem and it says "connect: Network is unreachable"... So I'm thinking I don't have internet in tty1... please correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyways, I still tried the intel graphics update tool. Using dpkg -i "name of file in usb" and I think it installed, not sure if it installed properly. I can invoke it in terminal but it gives me this...
Failed to connect to Mir: Failed to connect to server socket: No such file or directory
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(intel-graphics-update-tool:1235): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22:00 am

I'm not aware that Zorin is using Mir - that is Ubuntu specific which might be the issue? Await qnarkill's response in the meantime. ;)

jeidern

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:20:03 am

Is there a way to preserve the settings during live session to be carried over into installation?? Because Live session worked fine it's just after installation that got all bonkers.

qnarkill

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:28:42 pm

I'm not aware that Zorin is using Mir - that is Ubuntu specific which might be the issue? Await qnarkill's response in the meantime. ;)

i guess the gui driver install cannot connect to x and it gives this error when you try to run it from command line?

qnarkill

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42:12 pm

jeidern wrote:Is there a way to preserve the settings during live session to be carried over into installation?? Because Live session worked fine it's just after installation that got all bonkers.

Run this at live and we'see what settings are used in there..
Code:
xvidtune -show

jeidern

Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16:58 am

Here's the result
"1360x768" 85.00 1330 1424 1536 1792 768 771 777 +hsync -vsync

qnarkill

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:04:06 pm

Can you try forcing the resolution to vga=792 in kernel parameters?
http://pierre.baudu.in/other/grub.vga.modes.html

jeidern

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:12:47 am

Do you mean editing the grub menu?

jeidern

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:20:00 am

ok tried it... added nomodeset too (might be unnecessary but I tried it just the same). I also removed "quite splash" so I could see boot messages. I ended up with this:
(the following line repeats a number of times)
[ OK ] Started Detect the available GPUs and deal with any system changes.
Starting Light Display Manager...
[ OK ] Started Light Display Manager.
[ OK ] Stopped Light Display Manager.

at the end...

[ OK ] Started Light Display Manager.
Starting Hold until boot process finishes up...
[ OK ] Started Hold until boot process finishes up.
[ OK ] Started Getty on tty1.
[ OK ] Reached target Login Prompts.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
[ OK ] Started Stop unreadahead data collection 45s after completed startup.
Starting Set console scheme...
[ OK ] Started Set console scheme.
[ OK ] Started Upate UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

... then nothing...
I will also try forcing the resolution without "nomodeset" will post after trial... thanks... Hope this gets resolved soon.

qnarkill

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21:06 am

Similarly as when tried nomodeset but now instead of that force the graphics to a mode vga=792

jeidern

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29:40 am

Results are the same... T_T

qnarkill

Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21:44 pm

Well im hoping too, once you get stuck in that loop press ctrl-alt-f2 and login and then try
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

jeidern

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55:01 am

I tried:
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

got this as result:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-graphics-update-tool:
intel-graphics-update-tool depends on ttf-ancient-fonts; however:
Package ttf-ancient-fonts is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package intel-graphics-update-tool (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
intel-graphics-update-tool

Then, I uninstalled the intel-graphics-update-tool... (I thought it was useless by now, correct me if I'm wrong)
Run the code again, and nothing happened.

I don't know if this will help, the max resolution of the monitor is 1360x768. Is there a way to force grub to use this resolution?

Also, I notice that some linux distros are having trouble with these types of LED monitors (max res 1360x768) coupled with an intel built in graphics hardware. Just my two cents. ^_^

Update:
I looked around the net about forcing a resolution, found answers referring to ubuntu https://askubuntu.com/questions/54067/how-do-i-safely-change-grub2-screen-resolution.
I tried the "vbeinfo" code in command line in grub. At the end of the results I see this:
Preferred mode: 1360x768
Adapter 'VGA Video Driver':
No info available

jeidern

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:47:12 am

: UPDATE :
I'm not sure if this was the fix or not but I recently noticed that there was a "12.2" release of Zorin OS Lite Edu. The version I was installing is "12.1" of Zorin OS Lite Edu. I went ahead and downloaded the "12.2" and installed it in one of the PC's in question (you see I'm installing ZOS in multiple PCs, all of them with the same issue). Now the Issue's gone. The unit is booting fine and loading ZOS fine. So if you guys consider this a fix and consider this topic solved please change it to solved or let me know so I can do it.
I am still curious though as to why "12.1" wasn't working properly.

qnarkill

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25:47 pm

Nice to hear, If Swaff would contact the devs we probably would get to hear what has been changed..?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25:17 pm

Awaiting response! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:07:44 pm

Just reporting I have had a response and the likely answer is due to the kernel being upgraded to 4.10 which will have included new hardware support. . Remember that the kernel is outside the control of Team Zorin, they embellish it with Zorin goodness! ;) :D