This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"sudo apt-get update" gives errors

babloo75

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13:25 pm

Hi all.
I just installed Zorin OS in dual boot with Win 10. Still a newbie as far as Linux is concerned. Have installed few fonts and softwares (Firefox and Brave Browsers, qbittorrent). And now when I try to update Zorin in Terminal it gives me "lots of information regarding Target packages".
How to get rid of these?
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Code:
yagya@yagya-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for yagya:
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security InRelease [102 kB]
Hit:2 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial InRelease                   
Hit:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/patches/ubuntu xenial InRelease         
Get:4 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates InRelease [102 kB]   
Hit:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorinos/stable/ubuntu xenial InRelease         
Get:6 http://in.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-backports InRelease [102 kB] 
Fetched 306 kB in 1s (277 kB/s)   
Reading package lists... Done
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (restricted/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (multiverse/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (multiverse/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (multiverse/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (multiverse/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:50 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (restricted/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (restricted/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (restricted/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (restricted/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:48 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:46 and /etc/apt/sources.list:52
yagya@yagya-desktop:~$

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:18:37 pm

I had the exact same issue - try the advice here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/120621/ ... list-entry

Scroll down to the bit (Ubuntu 12.04) - get to it by going to:

System Tools | Software & Updates - Other Software tab and remove all references to (Source Code) entries.

babloo75

Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:39:52 am

Thanks a lot.

Finston Pickle

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:02:41 am

Hi, I just dropped upon this thread.

Swarf, is it good practice for us all to remove all references to source code?

I have quite a few.

Clicking on their ticks did not seems to affect things - I thought this would remove them - or at least deselect them.

How do you remove them, if necessary?

Also, do you need to update the listing before proceeding?

Swarfendor437

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45:50 pm

Firs unchecked then delete/remove button.