This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) ClamTK

Finston Pickle

Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26:08 pm

In the light of my recent experience with adware in Slimjet and the possibility that my Zorin 12 O/S could itself be compromised:

Would it be possible for one of our more experienced members to write a “Sticky” about how to run antivirus type programmes in Zorin 12.

In particular, for less experienced members like myself, it would be very useful if this could be GUI based rather than command line

I am thinking in terms of ClamTK, Comodo and Sophos antivirus, which were recommended to me by members of the Slimjet community.

It would include where to find a reliable .deb version of each and basic instructions on how to select options, what the programmes are likely to remove automatically or by manual selection and intervention and how to review results and reject false positives etc.

It seems to me that this would be very useful as it is obvious that even with the firewall on and despite being careful, Zorin 12 like other operating systems is vulnerable.

qnarkill

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:10:49 pm

The install of sophos is simple.
https://secure2.sophos.com/en-us/medial ... .pdf?la=en

The downside of Sophos is that there is/was no graphical ui for scanning.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:12:37 pm

Install clam av using synaptic, and be sure to include clam tk which is the graphical front end:

clamav.jpg

clamav menu item in accessories.jpg

clamav interface.jpg

clamav context menu function.jpg

Use the update assistant to set to automatic - that is why mine was showing out of date! :oops:

clamav update assistant.jpg

Finston Pickle

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38:21 pm

Thanks again, Swarf.

I will give it a try.

Presumably, I have to scan Home. OR Perhaps I will start with /.config, /.cache and /usr - any advice?

I will rename this thread and make it SOLVED when I have completed the scan.

qnarkill

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:08:56 pm

How about just the /

Finston Pickle

Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35:41 pm

So, I enter / and press scan?

What does this do, Qnarkill?

Finston Pickle

Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:29:34 pm

Did my scans - nothing there worth removing seemingly - post closed

qnarkill

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42:48 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:So, I enter / and press scan?

What does this do, Qnarkill?

It does not do anything by itself. I meant the root folder aka /, as you asked what to scan.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:30:03 pm

You can scan whatever you want by using the context menu (right-click) after selecting any folder/file/directory. ;) :D