This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Partial Upgrade Ruins 12.1 Lite

MBMz10

Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:06:14 am

As the title states (Partial Upgrade Ruins 12.1 Lite). Seeing that 12.2 was out I attempted to update to this new version by running the software updater as stated here http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/09/08/z ... em-ever-2/ and ended up with a broken system.

Not sure what happened as I ran the updater and something about not all software was installed try partial upgrade popped up so I just went with that as it sounds about right, not really paying full attention but sort of thought it was a little unusual and as it was just the 'shed pc' not very concerned so just click next etc.

As soon as the login screen appeared after the update restart I knew something was wrong, all the Zorin stuff was missing and think I ended up with a basic xfce desktop. It all worked OK just no Zorin theming etc.

I am posting this for feedback and thoughts and as a warning if you get the partial upgrade box, on what may have happened as usually this only happens when doing the 'wrong' update from the terminal in my experience. I was not in the habit of manually running the updater very often as I was sort of 'testing it' as it didn't seem to pop up very often and I wondered if it was even working (see earlier posts about this).

I had removed some multiple entries from "Other Software" some time ago (see posts elsewhere) so I restored a full system image I created back around July and ran the updater on it but it worked just fine and updated to 12.2 OK. Not aware of any GUI way of finding your version on Zorin Lite so I ran this: cat /etc/issue in terminal and it showed Zorin 12.2

I have now done a clean install of 12.2 Lite. I was going to post this in the chat about section but thought it might be of more benefit here.

Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23:40 pm

Hi, wonder if 12.1 was buggy to begin with? - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13356&start=20#p58747

MBMz10

Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:29:49 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, wonder if 12.1 was buggy to begin with? - viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13356&start=20#p58747

12.2 been out for a few days now so suspect we would have had other people with similar issue but time will tell. I suspect I did something earlier on such as the duplicate sources I removed but cant think of what. I also did fresh install of 12.1 and upgraded it on the same shed pc without issue.

My old laptop seems to have upgraded to 12.2 almost unknown to me without a hitch and 2 VM’s went OK so doing a third VM with sudo apt upgrade in terminal now...it worked also :!:
Sort of kicking myself ATM as I had intended to make a newer image of the machine over the last few weeks which would have allowed me to repeat the upgrade (destruction) over again in theory. I just love breaking stuff ;)

Finston Pickle

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:04:28 pm

Just did a Redo system image back up today and backups for my data - good timing it seems!

Looking at settings > details just now, it seems as though I have been updated to 12.2 Ultimate without my noticing as welI!

However, I did notice three different kernels when I did my last ubuntu cleaner tidy up the other day.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30:30 pm

Not running Lite but noticed today on checking in 'Details' on my ultimate install that I too now have Zorin 12.2! ;) :D And while it was doing a general update I got a Gnome shell crash warning - noticed a flicker in Firefox whilst it was updating (included update to Flash) so it could have been that as normally, Flash updates and the like that normally run in browsers, need them to be closed. Just a guess! ;) :D

MBMz10

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09:49 am

Good to see that 12.2 updates for both the 'Main' and 'Lite' versions seem to be applying successfully.