This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Casting to Panasonic Viera smart TV

Finston Pickle

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:05:36 pm

tybuzz67, interesting thread:

http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13185&p=58861#p58861

Like Swarf, I have been investigating casting to my smart Panasonic Vierra TV from Zorin 12 Ultimate for some time.

I can already connect PLEX on my laptop to my TV using a Roku box via the rarPLEX channel.

My TV has DLNA server settings (selected on), which I understand should allow casting to it.

Can I cast from my Intel i5 CPU laptop to the TV directly using the DLNA feature - not necessarily using Chrome? if so how?

tybuzz67

Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57:43 am

Finston Pickle wrote:tybuzz67, interesting thread:

Can I cast from my Intel i5 CPU laptop to the TV directly using the DLNA feature - not necessarily using Chrome? if so how?

@Finston Pickle,
I am sorry I cannot give you a definitive answer as I am not quite familiar wit DLNA feature but according to this link:

http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-h ... ow-1079015

it is possible as long as you have a home network (wired or wireless). so kindly read on the article please the info might be useful to you

Finston Pickle

Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:58:28 pm

Thanks for the input, tybuzz67.

I will read the article and advise if anything promising comes out of my experiments.

Finston Pickle

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:58:07 am

My conclusions:

You can onlystream recorded content via DLNA, uPNP - as I do using when using PLEX on my laptop to cast to my Roku box, using the rarPLEX channel. The roku box is connected to my Smart TV via a HDMI cable and can also stream Roku channel content from the internet to my TV.

Other devices connected to my TV via HDMI cable e.g. Apple TV box work in a similar way.

Kodi 17 can stream from internet channels to my TV if I connect my laptop to the TV using a HDMI cable.
(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13344&p=58468#p58468)

I have already got what I wish for - it just took a while to confirm things!