This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED(So far)) Second Administrator account

Finston Pickle

Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:41:42 am

I noticed that this month's Web User magazine recommended that you set up a second Administrator account on Windows PCs.

This was so as to be able to access your computer if there is ever a problem with your first Administrator account.

Would this also be a sound precaution in Zorin 12.2?

If so, how would you set up this second Administrator account (and if it is even possible with a no password start up)?

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:28:37 pm

What happens when you click on 'Users' in 'Settings'? Can you unlock the padlock or does it ask for a password? {I've never not set up a user account on any system without a password as seen it as good practice to do so. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25:03 pm

Thanks, Swarf, I will check out settings > users and advise.

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:19:05 pm

Screenshot from 2017-10-01a.png
Yes it is unlocked:

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31:02 pm

Hi, That icon is confusing isn't it! :shock: It is locked - you have to click on that button to 'unlock' - you will then see a locked padlock asking you to 'lock' once you have 'unlocked' but not before pressing the '+' button to add another user. ;)

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23:35 pm

Thanks, Swarf for clearing up that bit of logic - locked when it says unlocked!

I guess the point is - before proceeding with anything - is there anything to be gained by having a "reserve" Administrator account, as suggested by Web User for Windows 10?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:54:38 pm

Only if you get locked out but you can circumvent that... which begs the question "Is GNU/Linux as secure as I thought?" :shock:

MBMz10

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:48:41 am

If it ain't broke don't fix! As mentioned in the first post this was also regarding Windows not GNU/Linux. In 3 or 4 years I have never had issue being locked out of my account, have you? Nor have I seen this raised on this or other forums, it may have happened but looking at the usual range of questions people are asking this doesn't seem to rate.

I make a full disk backup when a system is fairly new and feel it is configured about right, then do other backups over time as I see fit especially before a version upgrade (18.1 to 18.2 on my Mint system) or such or if I am about to do some something critical like install another system on the disk or machine such as dual boot. On my "Main" system that is dual boot with Win 10 and UEFI I basically never do these type things as UEFI can be difficult to work with for lay persons like myself. I broke it once and took hours to get it working again....

As Swarfendor437 mentions about security, is anything secure? I have been watching a few videos from 'Defcon' mostly about security and privacy and it is rather eye opening stuff when you see what can be done and how they do it. Also a second account would likely be a second point of entry see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oln6gPgl_Mg

Anyway that is just my 2 cents worth on it, best regards.

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:47:42 pm

As I already have a REDO backup drive of the O/S and Apps as I have set them up and Backups of my Data on another drive, I agree that there is no point in a second Administrator account in Zorin 12 Linux.

The advantage for Windows 10 users was not specifically identified but from Computer Active letters, updates seem to give problems for many users - so it could have something to do with that.

Thanks for the responses from all.

MBMz10

Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51:43 am

And the next day we get this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13467
Eating my humble pie as I type. Not sure if a second account would have prevented this or enable you to login to it, however it does raise the question that FP was referring to.