This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Show drives in File Manager

technoweary

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:55:18 am

Hi
I purchased Zorin 12.2 Lite and installed on my laptop
Having problem with a few things and my searches on the forum tell me I am using too many common words!
So hopefully someone can give my the basics of how to show my system drives in the File Manager tree and how to associate preferred applications and un-associate the bundled applications to file types
Regards to all
TW

MBMz10

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:20:19 am

Search can be like that...
Drives can be seen under devices on the left hand side of file manager, See I have File System (this is my running system), 63GB Volume (another partition not mounted) and Tools (a USB drive). For network drives down the bottom see "Browse Network", browse to your folder, you can then right click it and "Create Shortcut" then right click the shortcut and rename if you want.
From file manager (Thunar) menu at the top you can go "Edit" > "Preferences" and change display preferences etc.

Go to "Z" Menu > Settings > Preferred Applications, some can be set there like Firefox that I just installed. For others that do show up there like VLC which I also installed, find a file type (eg mp4) on your system that you want to associate with that app, VLC in this case, right click the file and go to Properties and change it where it says "Open With".

The picture is a little busy, hope this helps.

FilePrefs.png
File Manager in background, Preferred Apps lower left about to select Firefox and File Properties of an mp4 with vlc choosen

technoweary

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:38:39 am

Thanks MBMz10
I did go to the Edit Preferences route
There are four tabs, Display, Side Pane, Behaviour and Advanced but I could not find anything there that allows me to show the main drive in the File Manager?
I would appreciate any suggestions if there is anything else I could try

Concerning the preferences it was exactly VLC that I wanted to default so thanks for that tip

Maybe I was a bit hasty purchasing 12.2 Lite. I was given to believe this version ironed out all these silly omissions by having more "home user" GUI settings that enabled these simple requirements to be undertaken
If I cannot get the main drive to show I will just go back to previous version. My Core2 Compaq struggles with V12.2 so it is not the end of the world

Thanks for your help, very much appreciated
Regards
TW

MBMz10

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:49:49 am

Your "main drive" is called "File System". You will see "home" then your "username" and then your folders, desktop, docs, vids etc under "Devices", below that is "Places" and you should see your "username" there and your doc downloads pic vids etc.

Regarding VLC if you have issues playing mpeg4 (mp4) please see this viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13442

Not sure what you mean by silly omissions and home user GUI however if your coming from "Windows" there is going to be some learning and differences just like from one version of "Windows" to the next. Similar to buying a different brand car or an imported one, it still does the same basic task but some of the functions and controls are in different places and/or labeled differently.

I have a core 2 Compaq (HP Compaq Laptop) also, 2 core, 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, and it runs Zorin 12.2 Lite quiet well. I think you will find Lite runs better than the "Main or Core" version on such a machine.

Let us know how you go.

mdiemer

Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08:06 pm

Seconding the statement about Lite. I have 6GB ram on an AMD dual core, and have problems with various GNU/Linux systems, not to mention windows. not sure why, suspect it's lack of really good video card (have GS 8400, which is getting old and is mediocre at best). Zorin Lite runs perfectly on this system. Better in fact than any OS with exception of Ubuntu. I would definitely give Lite a try.

MBMz10

Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:06:47 am

Just thought I would add regarding what app is default for 'mp4' type files on Zorin Lite. If you go to Settings > MIME Type Editor, you get this:
MIME Type Editor.png

You can type in the filter at the top or scroll away, many options here.