This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Global menu in OS X style?

Gary

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:27:25 pm

Hello,

After Zorin 11 I moved to another distros because Zorin OS 12 took a long time to release. I want to purchase the Ultimate version, however, I saw on youtube videos that the global menu in the OS X interface was removed. WHY? That top bar is now totally useless. I can see basically the date and the Zorin button. Is there a way to place the global menu there?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:32:09 pm

Hi, Sorry for the delay - I did not want to lose my desktop as I like it with the Windows setting. Your best alternative (and no guarantees you will get full functionality of all the applets but you can place a Menu, if not the Zorin one, using Cairo-Dock DE - on an earlier install I removed it as it wasn't what I wanted to achieve. I am posting this response on a live version of Zorin 12 using the Mac Look and I see where you are coming from - it looks like a cross-over between Mac and Gnome 2 - not ideal I will agree on that score. If you are desperate to have the Mac Look then take a look at Elementary OS. I was very sad when Pear OS disappeared from the GNU/Linux Arena:

https://vimeo.com/63084015

This was a Beta version and I added Compiz and Cairo-Dock for the old fashioned OS X look. ;) :D

I suspect that Zorin is trying to appeal to users of newer versions fo MacOS and as I am not up-to-date on how a Mac looks like with iOS 11 I can't comment. That or there is issues in Gnome Shell that prevents them from creating this?

Nearly forgot! Deepin Linux might be your best option but beware only available in 64-bit now! But having looked at YouTube videos it is similar to Zorin as far as the Launcher launches icons a bit like on your Mobile phone App Icons.

Another one for you to consider is Voyager 16.04.2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEO4HuldUr0