This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) “Printers local host” and “Document print status”

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:04:22 pm

A little trouble with my new Canon printer and I would like to delete items in the print queue.

Some time back when I set up my Epson printer last:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13148

I came across two very useful pop up windows “Printers local host” and “Document print status”. One of these enabled me to clear outstanding print jobs.

At the time I decided to keep them both minimised in case they were useful in the future - just like now.

Unfortunately, they disappeared when I had to power off my laptop.

However, I can't help feeling that they are still lurking in my OS - if I can only get them to fire up again.

Does anyone know how to open them up, Please?

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:58:08 pm

I'm afraid to say that was an Epson specific tool!:

mtink.jpg

All I can offer as a way forward is either:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/350334/ ... ntu#350338

or

Show Jobs.jpg

Active jobs.jpg

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47:50 am

Thanks, Swarf - interesting to see that you have a Canon printer as well.

If you notice, my printers page looks different to yours - no Ubuntu12.2... under location - could this be significant?

Screenshot from 2017-10-05 08-36-20.png

Also pressiing the various buttons on the show jobs > active jobs has no effect.

What are they supposed to do - have you any idea?

There does not seem to be any way of clearing active jobs here.

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:04:28 pm

I had a look in print queue and surprisingly the OS print job had disappeared.

I had switched the printer off at the wall last night and then repowered it up - it showed a white light in the morning. Had the print queue been in the printer?

As the printer was showing ready (graphic above - in my last post this morning), I tried a print out of an e-mail.

No joy and settings > printers now showing offline

Screenshot from 2017-10-05 13-48-56.png

I pressed the on/off switch to be met with you powered off wrongly you should have pressed the on/off button and an OK which I ticked - it seems to be back to its normal screen.

How do I get the printer to be "ready"?

Earlier in the week everything was working smoothly - I really wish they supplied an operating manual!

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:21:52 pm

Hi Finston, Canon's can be a bit tetchy - well the Pixma MG series - a new breed of big brother printer - it asks you to send usage data to Canon - I don't know why! To keep your printer ready I would leave it plugged in at the wall and if it is a switched socket, leave it on. Mine is attached directly to the PC so guess its Location is indicating that by way of my machine's 'name'. Basically, the printer is 'asleep' until it receives a request to print then it wakes up and unfolds its output tray - creepy when someone else sends a job remotely!
Always avoid switching off at the wall if printer is on - it can lead to the printer requiring a new motherboard! ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:16:04 pm

I won't be switching off at the wall again - thanks, Swarf! Also, I've never seen the print tray come out when printing or retract after - any pointers here?

Well, anyway, the Canon printer is restored to working condition at last!

What was it that made the difference?

Was it the “Firmware update”?

Was it the Windows tip of adding the printer in settings > printers? - it showed up as “CUPS-PDF printer”, not TS8000 (I kept both).

Was it the threat/shock of my son in law getting involved?

Anyway, the print queue had magically disappeared the printer again said “ready” in both its TS8000 and CUPS-PDF printer guises and it worked for a test print!

Online, it does seem as though the Wi-Fi connection proves problematic for a few, perhaps more than a few - I hope that it now settles down and proves reliable.

Coming back to "Printers local host" and "Document print status" how would I get them to appear when using my Epson printer?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:41:21 pm

Glad you are sorted! No, your tray won't come out as it is not an MG Series - the 'front' of the MG7550 is a drop down tray and the paper support flicks out when you manually deploy - if not out, the printer automatically releases the drop down tray:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhtrW6TKj-c 4 minutes 19 seconds in. ;) :D