This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Latest updates slowing browser response

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00:09 pm

The Second last update really slowed my laptop browsing expereince - it was really flying before I installed that software update.

The last update really partially restored my laptop browsing expereince - it is now better than it was, but not really flying again yet.

Presumably, this is associated with the multiplicity of Kernels that I see in Ubuntu Cleaner and will gradially improve with further updates and things run better together - can anyone confirm my hypothesis?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10:56 pm

Well I usually only keep the last known working kernel and remove earlier ones than that following kernel updates. As to browser experience it isn't just down to the browser it can be a combination of ISP throttling traffic if you have an ISP with 'subject to fair access' policies, DNS Settings, issues with traffic on the server's web page you are trying to connect to, and if wireless, interference from neighbour's router/access point other items that interfere. If you have an android phone there is a handy little application, Wifi Analyser by Keuwlsoft so you can check what channels your neighbour's are on. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:43:41 pm

Thanks, Swarf - food for thought. BT have not seemingly throttled in the past and Open DNS (set on my laptop) has been great.

As well as the software updates, we did get our new WiFi connected printer recently - which was the subject of another post after it played up.

Interestingly, WebUser magazine has an in depth article about WiFi issues and resolution, so I will try looking for any issues - just in case there is WiFi interference somewhere.

Just now I remembered the issue about the little tick next to my router name in settings > network. It had disappeared with time (and at times I've noticed that it was missing even when things were flying - strangely).
I could not get on to this forum to make this posting initially, because of the slowness - timed out. Anyway I clicked on my browser name to reconnect - the tick appeared (it sometomes does, sometimes, not) and things seem comparatively better. What is this tick exactly? - it does seem to make a difference at times - for me certainly. I'm going to leave settings > network open, as this seems to preserve the tick.

MBMz10

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26:33 am

The occasional reboot or restarting of computers network equipment such as routers wifi etc seems to help sometimes, simple easy first port of call so to speak.

Finston Pickle

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54:32 am

I still wonder what the tick signifies - it went again yesterday and yet is back today - most strange!

Finston Pickle

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23:36 am

I've just been browsing the Mail online and had bookmarked an article when both went off-line to be replaced by blanc screens and “problem loading page” and an orange warning triangle with an internal exclamation mark on the tabs. No amount of clicking "try again" will bring them back.

The pages were already loaded - what can be going on here?

This only started happening after the last two OS updates - what can have changed?

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:17:01 pm

Hi, I have had not issues with browsing following updates. Have you checked to see if the site or sites is only down for you?

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

mdiemer

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:45:33 pm

I can't see where you have mentioned what browser you are using. Chromium is working fine for me, but on another system I have Firefox. It was running very slow, and I refreshed it, which made it fast again. I don't know if Chromium has this feature. You might want to try Firefox to see if it's any faster.

MBMz10

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:46:16 am

I think the 'tick' is just indicating the 'active' connection. I booted up a live session or Z12 Core (I suspect Core/Ultimate is what you are on) and the tick was present on my active connection, however after I started to mess around with the settings it did in fact disappear and didn't return.

If your WiFi is on a USB connection then maybe that is why you loose connection? I have 2 PC's running Zorin 12 Lite. My laptop is build in WiFi and almost always works but my other machine is a USB dongle and sometimes I have to remove and reinsert the USB cable as the tray icon just starts spinning, however this is generally after login out or restarting, once it connects it is usually good. Interestingly another machine with USB WiFi running Linux Mint has the same issue from time to time.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:46:40 am

mdiemer wrote:I can't see where you have mentioned what browser you are using. Chromium is working fine for me, but on another system I have Firefox. It was running very slow, and I refreshed it, which made it fast again. I don't know if Chromium has this feature. You might want to try Firefox to see if it's any faster.

Firefox working fine for me. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57:55 pm

I am using Firefox.

How do you "refresh" Firefox, Mdiemer?

mdiemer

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:10:36 pm

Go to Settings, Help (at the bottom, it's the "i"); troubleshooting, then Refresh. It will import your bookmarks. however, it will delete your adblocker if you have one, so you will need to reinstall that.

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:54:44 pm

Just installed the latest updates - the third since I had issues - everything seems back to being pretty snappy.

Will advise with more usage - it seems that the price you pay for progress is a few gremlins.

The moral may be: don't be an early adopter - although it is more exciting!

MBMz10

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:39:58 am

Finston Pickle wrote:Just installed the latest updates - the third since I had issues - everything seems back to being pretty snappy.

Will advise with more usage - it seems that the price you pay for progress is a few gremlins.

The moral may be: don't be an early adopter - although it is more exciting!

Did you refresh Firefox as well or was it just the updates?
Also was it just the browser that was slow or the machine/OS?
What about that 'tick'?

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:51:44 pm

I did not refresh Firefox - it seems as though the larest update freed my browsing speed back to where it had been four updates back. I had slow browser issues earlier in the year (previous post), but for quite a period the speed really picked up - just as it should have been and as it is now.

The machine OS always was quick and has never faltered.

All this and no tick being shown - it would be reassuring if the tick were selectable and there all the time - as if it were the preferred router.

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:50:01 am

Firefox working fine for me and according to Web User will soon be twice as fast - when Quantum is introduced at version 57 - mid November apparently.

Case solved, thanks all.