This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) WiFi Canon Pixma TS8050 all in one printer issues

Finston Pickle

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:31:36 am

We are still having trouble with our new WiFi Canon Pixma TS8050 all in one printer. The print service has ebbed and flowed, sometimes working fine with both my Zorin 12 laptop and our i-Pad. At other times, the i-pad shows no airprint printer found. I normally can get the printer to work from Zorin 12, if I add the printer as a new printer - not the best work around - it comes up as:
Description: CUPS-PDF
Driver: Generic CUPS-PDF Printer (color)
Connection: cups-pdf:/
and does not identify as TS8000 series - it did the first time.

The only way I can get the i-pad to consistently see the printer is if I use a third party product called Print Central. It seems to work through a list of options - I can see that using certain ports, the printer has errors, whilst, with other ports selected, the air printer is correctly identified as the TS 8000 series printer. I am still investigating.

The Canon knowledge website shows a range of potentially used ports, but it does not relate this list to any printer series. They are:
TCP 80, 443, TCP/UDP 137, 138, 139, 515, 5357, 8611, 8612, 9100.

I note that the online Ubuntu Firewall guide suggests:

“Applications that open ports can include an ufw profile, which details the ports needed for the application to function properly. The profiles are kept in /etc/ufw/applications.d, and can be edited if the default ports have been changed.”

I wondered if anyone using a WiFi, All in one, Canon printer could give me their Canon (or CUPS?) ufw profile ports list so that I can compare it with mine to narrow the list down or make additions, as necessary - thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:14:52 pm

"Location" is just a descriptive field for you to enter "Kitchen/Study/Living room" etc.

Try this guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18

Finston Pickle

Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:51:39 pm

Latest update (I will read your link later, thanks, Swarf):

IPad, using Print central, Airprint now connected to port 9100 on the canon TS8050 (PS available) and printing - Alleluia!!

Zorin 12 laptop, remembered to invoke system-config-printer (as previously advised - but forgotten) and entered the printer URL httpxxx.***.x.***:631 (IPP port), found the correct Canon TS8000 series and installed - name (Canon TS8000) now back in settings > printers.
Highly confident - will print tomorrow (been researching this for hours).

Slight worry - Print central indicated on port 631 IPP not available: -1 not supported 149 (no reference to 149 in Canon fault codes which start at 1000). However it seemed to be working with my laptop, so HeyHo - onwards and upwards!!

Finston Pickle

Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:24:00 pm

Now printing OK from my Zorin12 laptop - Great!

Sporadic issues with IOS11 still - as reported also on the interent. I seem to have to select the printer each time - no memory in the Print Central app yet - perhaps I have not pressed the right button!

I can and may try disabling IPv6 on the Canon printer this has worked for some.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:40:31 pm

Hi, In the school where I work (not IOS 11 I should add) using iPads requires you to go into network connections and select the IP address of the printer (HP all in one) - you should then be able to print. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:06:38 pm

Thanks, Swarf - Interesting about the IPads at school.

Whereabouts in settings is network connections?

We have been in the WiFi settings and there is nowhere where we can put in the printer URL (That we have seen).

Do you need to enter the full URL?

For myLinux laptop the format was http://***.***.x.***:port no

Is that the same format on the school's printer IP address (not too clear about IP vs URLs)?

Also do you need to specify the port the printer uses?

CUPS on my Zorin 12 machine uses port 631 - what port does AirPrint use?

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24:46 pm

The printer at school is hp and it shows up as an access point in wireless. Just had a browse; see if any method given here helps:

https://m.wikihow.com/Connect-Printer-to-iPad

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:47:50 pm

Thanks for the link, Swarf - pretty well what I have been following.

It is a shame that The IPad does not have the "printer setting" feature of a MacBook.

My canon printer is set up as Infrastructure, connected to my BT homeHub5 router - as recommended by canon.

In the canon literature I do remember seeing the WiFi section of the IPad settings showing the printer (IP?) in a lower section underneath the router details - netwok, I think (you had to go through a convoluted series of steps to achieve this, which we did, twice) - but no method suggested for entering it manually, or what format - it just looked like ***.***.X.*** to me.

I can try entering my printers IP (format as above) into the IPad WiFi > network element and see if it is allowed or if so, if it helps matters.

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30:43 am

I've just remembered - in amongst the various things that I have tried, I set up the Canon Pixma TS8050 printer as an access point. Entering the printer's IP address in the Ipad settings > Wifi enabled Airprint to work just as in the school application, Swarf - it was perfect. The problem was that connection to my router and the Internet was lost until I reconnected to the router in WiFi settings - not very practical.

I looked again at the issue in Print Central last night. When looking for printers it found an AirPrint printer (not identified), an AirPrint printer (Canon Pixma TS8000 series) and a button for Canon Pixma TS8000 IP ***.***.x.***:9100. Trying the various permutations selecting AirPrint printer (not identified) seems to work perfectly. Internet also working perfectly - case solved - it only took a Month of messing around. Thanks Apple and Canon and for all your help.

januarsam77

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58:15 pm

Find the canon pixma driver here..