This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Ultimate upgrade question

zorinantwerp

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:08:04 pm

Hi

I am using Zorin core for over a month and I am thrilled to see how smooth it works out. Basd on a lifetime experience starting with ms-dos5.1 I wonder why it took me so long to embrace linux.

I have installed a number of additional programs to Zorin Core OS in a move to finetune it.

What I actually want to ask is if I buy the Ultimate version (yes I do want to see your video desktop) will my current setup be deleted or provides 'ultimate' a choice to upgrade and maintaining my progs.

thanks for yr advice

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07:18 pm

Hi, I've never tried it myself, so cannot vouch yes or no. You could refer to Wolfman's upgrade guide but that was for 9 and I am not sure if it would work with 12? Personally I would backup your /home folder (ensuring that all your hidden dot folders (these are files that commence with a period such as .wine and so on) are showing - if not press Ctrl+ H and copy the entire contents to an external drive before proceeding. Wolman's guide to updating is here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785 - go to section 'Upgrading your installed system'. ;) :D

MBMz10

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26:06 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785 - go to section 'Upgrading your installed system'. ;) :D

I think it is the wrong link Swarf, I tried to find it but...never had much luck with search on this forum for some reason.

Not aware of an actual upgrade path during the install of Ultimate (or Core) however if your /home is on a separate partition you may have addition options during a fresh install. This video explains how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui5jBdTIuyI it is 40mins long and shows how to backup your software etc but it is using Linux Mint so not all the tools are present in Zorin but still worth a look for future installs.

As Swarfendor437 mentioned above is probably your best option. Also Ultimate is around 4GB .iso file you may need bigger USB and it will take a bit longer to install than Core. You could also ask the Zorin team about this via the Premium Support link you'll get when you purchase Ultimate.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05:58 pm

No you have to scroll down to the section on updating - it is not hyperlinked:

Capture.JPG

;) :D