This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Redo print error

Finston Pickle

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16:06 pm

I had my first issues with Redo today - print error at 99%.

Burnt a new DVD of REDO from my .iso and had the same result.

Then used discs to reformat my back up drive (I thought Redo automatically overwrote the drive as necessary).

Redo then worked perfectly!

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:28:41 pm

Hi, what do you mean by print error, I'm confused. I have a redo disc and as a MultiSystem ISO on my flash drive. The only thing redo can't do is to put backed up image on a smaller hard drive.

MBMz10

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:51:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, what do you mean by print error, I'm confused. I have a redo disc and as a MultiSystem ISO on my flash drive. The only thing redo can't do is to put backed up image on a smaller hard drive.

It wouldn't boot on my newest machine that has UEFI (and a GTX1070), not sure if it was the GPU or UEFI, tried to download a newer version but around November 2012 ver 1.0.4 is latest. Other than that it is a great tool.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07:04 pm

Can you achieve mixed mode if Legacy is not selected? ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:28:12 pm

I had got to 99% of the first section of redo (I had left the two entries selected as suggested by Redo).

When I checked for progress, after an hour or so, an error box had come up saying Print/write/copy error (I can't remember which) and an OK button. Repeatedly pressing OK did nothing, so I bailed out and burnt another DVD with my Redo .iso.

Similar result the second time, but noticed a warning about checking the external drive had enough space. Funny, I thought, I am taking an.iso of a 500Gb HDD and putting it on a 500Gb external dive - of course there is enough space! Anyway, I thought existing content was overwritten as necessary. Continuing on everything seemed normal except that I could see some reference to free space as 1.5 Gb - untill it also stopped at 99% with a similar error box.

After reformatting the external drive, using Discs, everything ran smoothly (as normal) from my new DVD copy of Redo. The Redo process took over two hours.

Continuing today:

Having got Redo to back up my OS and Apps the other day, I could still do with some “How To” advice.

How is it best to exit Redo and retrieve the DVD before starting the next Zorin 12 session.

I made the mistake of ejecting the DVD early only to find that was the end of Redo, nothing working and had to do a Hard Power off - not good practice - even if HDD s are supposed to cope with it.

The only thing is once may laptop is powered off, the DVD tray will not eject if I press the eject button - it seems to be electrically operated only after start up.

MBMz10

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:17:10 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can you achieve mixed mode if Legacy is not selected? ;) :D

I likely could but just don't like messing with UEFI/BIOS of the machine because Windows is a delicate little flower and I broke it once and took hours to get it working again. It was more of a test than anything else but it ain't broke so I won't fix. Later versions of Linux *.iso's with UEFI enabled are fine though.

MBMz10

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:33:53 am

I'm wondering if one 500GB drive is a little smaller than the other, just because they say 500 doesn't always mean 500 in my experience. Sometimes deleted (hidden) files can remain from another system and maybe it can't overwrite them?
2 hours seems like a long time, is that normal for you?

Far as shutdown goes can you select restart from Redo and eject the disk at the BIOS screen upon reboot, or use a paper clip in the CD/DVD drive door hole to eject when switched off.

Finston Pickle

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46:13 am

Thanks for the DVD ejection tips, MBMz10.

Both drive are Toshiba, but probably not identical (As Redo works, I can't see the point in checking)

Redo seemed to take about 2 hours the first time I used it and about 1 hour subsequently. It seems like I was back to a "first time" Redo. I wasn't really watching time exactly at any time so "2 hours" is +- 1hour - same with the "1 hour" is +-30 mins - I only loked at it periodically.

Case solved - thanks everybody!