This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(CLOSED) Understanding VPN

Finston Pickle

Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03:33 pm

A letter to Web User claimed that, having set the VPN in Opera to USA (and presumably leaving Opera open, but minimised), Firefox could access an American website's USA specific content, even though Google Chrome could not. He was probably using a Windows machine.

Does this mean that any application accessing the internet would be using Opera's VPN - or just browsers?

Interesting, if true. Perhaps the moral is to always set Opera's VPN to UK (or wherever you find best) and leave Opera minimised all the time, if you want privacy.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:48:54 pm

Try HotSpot Shield Free VPN add-on for Firefox - I can view YouTube videos that I otherwise could not. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15:28 pm

I got a little afraid of the permissions required by HotSpot Shield Free VPN - is it pukkah?

Piggy backing on Opera's VPN - which presumably is pukkah - seems less risky.

I thought that I would leave Opera running is the background and actually use Firefox, Kodi etc.

Finston Pickle

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38:11 pm

I tried using Firefox with Opera open - Firefox worked fine - however I have no idea if it had any advantage or even if it worked as a VPN.

VPN experiment over!