This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Boot time etc

Zokkbar-2

Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:34:47 pm

Is it normal for a few years old laptop for Zorin to take TWO MINUTES to boot up? Also, on the same laptop, clicking on "settings", it takes 30 seconds for the settings panel to appear. Same thing with any click on settings in the tray down on the right, bluetooth, wifi etc..takes forever before their windows open. I have turned off animations and so on. This behaviour is just ridiculous, the same laptop is my testing rig, it has had windows 7,8,10 linux elementary solus deepin q4os etc you name it, this laptop has done it. But never ever been this slow on booting and the other things mentioned. I don't even want answers, because I know there is no workaround for this so spare me your expertise. Just wanted to VENT a bit, and now Zorin will be removed from my computer.

mdiemer

Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49:47 pm

Too bad you don't want the help. I'm sure it's a solvable problem, but if you're unwilling to even try, I guess there's nothing to be said but have a nice day, good luck with your future computing experiences. I have also had problems with Linux systems. I have installed Solus three times, and had to give up as it just doesn't seem to work well on my computer. But I'm open to trying it again at a later date. And I didn't throw a temper tantrum on their forum, either.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:16:15 pm

There can be any number of reasons why it is running slow - if it is Core then it is likely to be slow because it uses the Gnome Shell which is resource heavy. Other things to consider is the state of the hard drive. I have installed Zorin on two different Notebooks that are 7 years old at work, one works very quick the other that I am currently using has a slight lag - both the same model Samsung P530 with i3 processor. One of the networked machines running Windows 10 had to have a new hard drive and keep writing new OS's to the drive will take it's toll. My advice to you is to stick with Lite or try SolydX stable communtiy edition as it is the only edition that does not have PAE. Good Luck.

mdiemer - nice comment.