This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Black Screen after Login

Kerel

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29:34 pm

Hello everyone,
right after I tried installing Cpufreq my screen froze. So I tried to restart my Laptop(Acer Education Aspire 5 A515-51G-512P), but after I log in the Screen is just black and the only thing I see is the cursor.
So I tried to disable the extension by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2, logging in and typing
Code:
gnome-shell-extension-tool -d cpufreq@konkor
, but that doesn't work aswell.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:42:14 pm

Have you tried via Ctrl+ Alt+ F3?:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comment ... hell_lock/

using the same command?

Also, see if you can do it via dconf via the command line:

"Complete uninstall and removing of stored settings.

It can be useful if you have saved broken settings values or to clean up previous installation. You can check this values in the dconf-editor at /org/gnome/shell/extensions/cpufreq/

dconf reset -f "/org/gnome/shell/extensions/cpufreq/"
sudo rm /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/konkor.cpufreq.policy
sudo rm /usr/bin/cpufreqctl"

[taken from here:

https://github.com/konkor/cpufreq

If you haven't got dconf editor installed, ensure you are connected to internet and at command prompt:

Code:
sudo apt install dconf-tools
then run the command.

Kerel

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45:43 pm

I forgot to mention I am running the latest updates of Zorin 12.

It doesn't seem to make a difference if I use Ctrl+ Alt+ F3.

I installed dconf-tools but when I try to execute "dconf reset -f "/org/gnome/shell/extensions/cpufreq/"" it returns an error: Cannot autolaunch D-Bus without X11 $DISPLAY.
To fix this error someone recommends to reinstall ubuntu-desktop but I'm not sure if that works for Zorin's custom desktop and I don't want to make things worse as I'm new to Linux.

When I try "sudo rm /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/konkor.cpufreq.policy" and "sudo rm /usr/bin/cpufreqctl"" it doesn't find the files.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27:43 pm

Hi, Sorry to hear that. My best advice is to run Zorin in live mode from your installation media, backup any critical data and reinstall. I have no experience of the application that you are having difficulties but it appears to create issues with other distributions too such as Fedora, which is based on Red Hat. :(

Kerel

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:42:16 pm

Yeah, I also read that. Ok I guess I'll have to reinstall again :/
But thanks for your help!