This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Help with wireless please?

leftisthenewright

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:55:23 pm

Hi,

Have been using Zorin OS9 now with wired internet for a while no problem but cant get wirless working.

I have the correct driver inf file from vendor homepage.
Trying to install on the following:

Aspire One
intel atom cpu n270
32 bit
992.3Mib
not dual boot.

Just get the following error:

Module cound not be loaded. Error was:

modprobe: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

Is the ndiswrapper module installed?

**I installed the wrapper via software center.

--If someone could assist with easy instructions (im only ok wth using linux) would be very much appreciated.

thanks!

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:06:58 pm

Hi, install Synaptic Package Manager from software, then once installed, launch it and in the search bar near top/middle of synaptic enter 'ndiswrapper' - mark all packages that come back unchecked for installation. Keep us posted.

leftisthenewright

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:16:25 pm

Hi thanks- I am getting a not found 404 error on dh-apparmor, which is not letting me complete your instructions.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:48:49 pm

Have you got Synaptic installed?

leftisthenewright

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:53:58 am

Yes I do. I searched for ndiswrapper and marked one item that was not currently installed. Durning that install, I got the 404 error. Thank you

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:02:48 pm

Hi, Go to software Updater, when it starts to run, click on 'Cancel' then wait for 'Settings' button to appear - go to first tab and change downloads from your country's locale to 'Main Server' and try again. ;)

leftisthenewright

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57:41 pm

thank you. I think I may be missing something. Going back to the start, in synaptic manager, I searched for ndiswrapper and here is what i have installed:
ndisgkt
ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-dkms
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9

No other resutls come back so I assume I have eveything installed that is needed.

However still get the error

Module cound not be loaded. Error was:

modprobe: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

Is the ndiswrapper module installed?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38:21 pm

Hi, Please take a look at this old thread

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/636797

and see if any of the advice helps - be aware that references to kernel 2.36 in the threads are quite old as Zorin is now running something like 4.10 - if you do a search for kernel in synaptic it should give the precise kernel numbers you may need to add into the terminal commands posted in that thread. Keep us posted! ;) :D

leftisthenewright

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:22:58 pm

I appreciate your help-but this is going to be beyond my ability. Is there wireless usb adapter that I could buy that would work with my Zorin os9 do you know of? Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33:30 pm

If you can get hold of a second hand Netgear WG111v3 dongle you should be good to go. Failing that:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wi ... g-gnulinux

Go for the G Wireless adapter.

I would advise you contact them before hand and explain you want to use the hardware with a fork of Ubuntu 14.04 - please be aware that support for Zorin 9 will end in April 2019. ;) :D

leftisthenewright

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13:21 am

thank you I will look into it