This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Brother Printer Driver

mojolinux

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00:13 am

I purchased a new "All In One" Brother Laser (mono) Printer model number MFC-L2700DW. I have tried to print from this Multi-function device Printer using Zorin 9.0 both by USB direct connection and also by Network via Ethernet unsuccessfully. Either method, I do NOT find the exact proper DRIVER within Linux Zorin to be able to print! NO problem with Windows computers using the included CD Driver disk that comes with this multi function Printer.

The closest Brother Printer offered and found from within ZORIN 9.0 System Settings / Printers is for a Brother HL2700CN, which then lists only two drivers, neither of which will actually work to print a test page.
My Printer`s Blue ON light does come ON when I hit PRINT TEST PAGE, but Zorin says "idle, waiting for completion". NO cigar and NO printing is forthcoming!

Is there a way I can get a proper correct working print driver for my Brother MFC-L2700DW Printer using Zorin 9.0?
Is there some other way, or am I missing something installing this new Printer in Zorin 9.0 correctly?
Thanks.

zorinantwerp

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:23:16 am

google is your best friend. I would try following:
Code:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/549840/brother-mfc-l2700dw-printer-does-not-work

mojolinux

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45:06 pm

Thanks for your provided link zorinantwerp.

I have followed what seemed to be the perfect solution to my Linux Brother printing issue. I followed ALL the instructions and procedures to the letter (including those later on from Brother) for my specific Laser Printer (MFC-L2700DW.
Their procedure apparently substitutes/integrates a completely different Brother model`s driver package included with their installation procedure for my MFC-L2700DW Laser Printer.
I thought surely this would be the answer to my dilemma of NOT finding a dedicated and specific MFC-L2700DW Linux driver package for my Laser Printer.

After driver procedure completion, the Printer is found OK, and starts/lights up OK out of hyberation, makes noise like its printing, *BUT* out comes one blank sheet of paper, rapidly followed by another, and another, and another with out stopping, until I have to pull the power plug to get it to STOP spewing paper! This abrupt termination mid "spew" of course leads to serious internal paper jams which I then have to clear!
Bottom line is: This driver installation ends up being worse than NOT being able to print in Linux!
I used the very first driver pkg as suggested by the person providing the reply link to follow. I`m hesitant to try any of the 3 or 4 other driver possibilities which include a couple generic drivers for my model Laser Printer.
Anybody have any suggestions or thoughts on this matter?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:46:37 pm

Have you tried any of the solutions here?:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/549840/ ... s-not-work

Just to add, DON'T use Software (Centre/er) to install 3rd party .deb packages.

Open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) or Menu | Utilities | Terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt install gdebi
(when you click on 'select all' above this code it copies the command to your clipboard so you can paste it directly in the terminal without fear of mistyping. You will be asked for your login password - don't make a mistake with your password as no asterisks show up during typing - you get three attempts before being dropped back to normal user instead of root.

Once installed, Gdebi Package Manager should appear under System Tools in the Menu - this is the best .deb package installer as it checks to see if there are any missing dependencies before attempting to install.

Keep us posted! ;) :D

Just to add, please don't blame Zorin/GNU/Linux for your printer problems - these lay squarely at the hardware manufacturers who don't know how to code for GNU/Linux or aren't prepared to offer full similarity with Windows OS - it might upset the guys at M$ :o

zorinantwerp

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:58:07 am

I regret it did not work out for you. don't give up as most of us have gone through the same hassle in trying to connect. (mine was a samsung laser)
A friendly soul suggests following for your MFC-L2700DW Laser Printer. Not to forget to reduce the paper volume in your tray.

+++
In Linux open the CUPS interface in your browser by going to http://127.0.0.1:631/ and you'll then choose "Adding Printers and Classes". Make sure your printer is connected via USB or is on the network. Let CUPS find the printer. In the case of this Brother printer I had to choose the second one in the list that was discovered on the network. Move forward to the next screen and it should ask you to choose the manufacturer and printer driver you wish to use. If those choices aren't there go back and choose another printer from the list to ad. Choose the "Brother DCP-7010" driver. I chose the version that CUPS recommended. Install and you're done.
+++
success

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:02:21 pm

I don't know if the toner cartridges for your printer fit other Brother laser models, but in the past when I used a Canon BJC i-865 when there was not a suitable driver I would look at the next nearest printer that the cartridges also worked in, in my case Canon BJC8000 driver would always work. ;) :D

mojolinux

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16:05 pm

Well I appreciate the replies to my Brother Printer issue.
I did get a bit closer today after substituting the DCP-7010 driver as suggested by ZorinAntwerp. I was able to actually print out a "test page" and have it stop after printing!
However, when I went to print out a "Print Self -Test Page"..... NOTHING! Same thing when I tried to print out an actual Word Document. NO response and nothing showing up in the printer que!

I can offer to send screenshots of every aspect of my attempts and will... if requested. Suffice it to say today, when I entered http://127.0.0.1:63 into two different browser address bars, I got messages saying "Could NOT Connect"!
I really didn't need to let CUPS find my Printer, cause I have had my model Brother Printer (MFC-L2700DW) already identified correctly previously (see attachment), so I continued and went on to "AD A PRINTER",
but this time today on a whim, I substituted the Linux offered and zorinantwerp suggested Brother DCP-7010 driver, applied it, and moved "Forward" to the Printer dialog box, where I was then able to successfully print out that (singular) Test Page. Great, but why NO selective document Printing?

I`m stuck here now not knowing which way to go?

BTW I have both USB *AND* Network connections from my Zorin 9.0 box to my Brother MFC-L2700DW Laser Printer.
The Network connection I chose was the one above "Find Network Printer" because it spelled out in it`s complete description: 192.168.3.80 which is the correct URL address for this device on my router.

Don`t be distracted in my screenshot if you see another Brother Laser Printer (HL-2270DW in a different room upstairs) which is NOT an MFC Printer and works just fine with Zorin 9.0.
Thanks again for any help or insight into this issue.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:31:15 pm

Did you try any solutions proferred at that link I posted?

https://askubuntu.com/questions/549840/ ... s-not-work

mojolinux

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:11:23 am

Yes, Swarfendor437! I did try first "solution" not sure if all?
I got to this link originally from the first reply from zorinantwerp, which eventually led to the "ask ubuntu.com" link. Continuing on to my first attempt, I may have initially messed up on the driver installation?
I revisited same "ask ubuntu .com" link upon reading your post and procedure of installing .deb packages to my Zorin box by adding "gdebi". Easy Peazy!
I now have the Gdeb Package Manager in my System Tools in the menu, and I also "pinned" it lower left on my desktop. Thanks!

After installing and running, it found I "met all dependencies". I followed through installing the downloaded .deb driver package (mfcl2700dwlpr-3.2.0-1.386.deb) once more... which succeeded.
When I got to the "ADD A Printer" dialog box, I entered under my (previous screenshot) discovered and recognized MFC-L2700DW Printer, the specific "Brother DCP-7010" driver as suggested by zorinantwerp,
I entered this suggested specific driver because there IS NOT a specific driver available or listed for my model Brother MFC-L2700DW Printer. This IS the problem!
Anyway you know the rest, I am able to print a "test page", yet NOT able to print a "self-test page" (what`s the distinction?) nor any selected document on my box to print successfully.
Thanks for any help or insight.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:23:42 pm

My only other thought is to ask is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

Check this out:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:20:59 pm

don't give up mojolinux. once it works it never breaks up. what about the scanning part of your printer?
try the following procedure
Code:
https://faithtechlife.com/2015/06/03/setting-up-brother-mfc-l2700dw-on-ubuntu/

:idea:

mojolinux

Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:57:40 pm

Thanks guys, with your help and guidance I am finally able to print successfully from my Brother MFC-L2700DW Laser Printer from ZORIN9.0!
I re-read and retried procedures from both your links noticing I had forgot to add the provided CUPS driver from one of the links. I don't know if that was the key to unlock this puzzle? (probably)

I fooled around a bit not really knowing what I was doing, but trying out different combinations in the "Add A Printer" dialog box.
I ended up trying out the Brother USB Printer listed, which along with a correct combination driver, actually worked and I was finally able to print!
I followed that up by adding yet another Printer, this time a Network Printer, and it too along with a different combination info/driver worked as well!
This is the short story version of what I did, as I didn't keep good track at each time, so I can't give good testimony of what all I actually did step by step.

Here are some screenshots of what I ended up with for each of the TWO Printers I have successfully added, both of which print test pages, Word documents, PDF etc GREAT!

Next hurdle will be to see if I can use the Copy or SCAN features from my Zorin Box?

Thanks again guys for all your help!

mojolinux

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:02:55 pm

First Screenshot above is from my *USB installed Printer* if you read the properties, and NOT from my Network Printer as I mistakenly labeled it in a rush.

zorinantwerp

Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:09:10 pm

happy hour in the bar. the drinks are on you :)

mojolinux

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:47:45 am

by zorinantwerp » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:09 pm
happy hour in the bar. the drinks are on you :)

Sure what`ll ya have? Antwerps Blond?
Thanks again!

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54:24 am

Glad you finally got sorted! Have marked thread as [SOLVED]. :D