This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

wine zorin 9 program oke, zorin 12 program problem

Lidwien

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:54:29 pm

I am running a dual boot.
Zorin 9 lite 32 bit and Zorin 12 lite ultimate 32 bit.
I use Zorin for 1 program (Minipak) which runs normally under Windows.
On Zorin 9 the program runs perfect.
But on Zorin 12 the program won't run.
Windows xp fout BASE/5
Windows xp fout BASE/2266
Is wine under Zorin 9 different from wine under Zorin 12?

As a workaround I use Zorin 9 now without internetconnetion, no update anymore, just this program Minipak.
Because my pc is dualboot, I can enter the directory home from both OSes.
After using Minipak I close Zorin 9 and start Zorin 12 to be able to use the e-mail to send the backup of Minipak to the right person.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42:19 pm

Hi, The standard for Core and Ultimate used to be 1.4 I think, but 12 was 1.6. Recently the Wine project team released Wine 2.0, allowing Microsoft Office 2013. If you go into Lite's Software manager, see if you can find an earlier version in the repositories. ;) :D
As you have purchased the Ultimate Lite version you should get some form of support from the DE vs. I will PM team Zorin to look at this thread. ;) :D

Lidwien

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15:15 pm

Yes, I have purchased the Ultimate Lite version.
Here is the date I bought it: 2017-11-29 and the order id is 0021950448.
All the help is appreciated, as I normally don't work with Windows.
I prefer Linux. Therefore my mobile (a Fairphone) is on OpenSource, an option Fairphone supports ;).

Today I have to go to Utrecht for a few days, so it will be monday evening before I can try to see if I can install an earlier version of Wine.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:23:50 pm

Before you do, make sure to backup your system before attempting an earlier version install as it will have been compiled to work with a different kernel! You have been warned! ;) :D

Lidwien

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:34:03 pm

In my situation I only use Zorin 12 for Minipak, nothing else. So there's nothing to backup.
The Minipak backup is safely on another pc.
And it is so easy to install Zorin 12 again and make the changes to grub.
But thanks for the tip !

Lidwien

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25:16 pm

What will be the best approach to get the wine-version from Zorin 9 lite working under Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate?
A fresh install of Zorin 12 is no problem, but how to install without the normal version of Wine?

zorinantwerp

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30:23 pm

from my personal preference just an idea for you is using VMWARE instead of Wine. the program is free.

Code:
https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html

good luck

Lidwien

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:27:00 pm

I know VMware. I don't have a license for Windows, so VMware is no option for me.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:12:24 pm

zorinantwerp wrote:from my personal preference just an idea for you is using VMWARE instead of Wine. the program is free.

Code:
https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player.html

good luck

Only the player is free! The GNU/Linux version is here: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/E ... 6410.shtml

But it is an Emulator for VM's - the OP only wants to run a Windows application, not Windows in a VM with the App installed!

Lidwien, I would check what kernel is running on Zorin 9 Lite and see if Zorin 12 Lite can run on that kernel and also check the version of wine. I can't remember if lite comes with Synaptic Package Manager but you should be able to install it and do a search for Wine to see what versions are available in the Repositories - be sure that your updates point to 'Main Server' and not your country's server.