This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) USB issues

Finston Pickle

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03:14 pm

I've got a strange phenomena on both my laptops - one running Zorin 9 and the other Zorin12 Ultimate.

Both seem to exhibit a related issue, which, I think, is related to the way that USB drives mount.

I use both USB sticks and USB back up drives and have never been comfortable with mounting - I disconnect or attach drives with the lid closed and the machine in suspend - I can understand that.

On the Zorin 9 machine, I am finding that it is seeing a ghost USB stick - not the one in the machine at the time. I can even delete folders from the ghost USB stick, but I can not get it to see the true content of the stick inserted.

On the Zorin 12 machine, I see a notification repeatedly popping up saying you can remove *** - which I think refers to one of my USB back up drives - even though it has been long disconnected.

Is there a way of resetting Nautilus - so it is just waiting to read whatever is connected by USB on restart and not what used to be?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:39:41 pm

Finston Pickle

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:36:30 pm

Thanks, Swarf - A little deep for me.

What are these people doing, do you think? and why?

I was thinking along the lines of pressing eject (the < thing with a bar underneath, I think) and seeing if that helped.

Finston Pickle

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:33:01 pm

I tried again today and had the bright idea of using my USB stick on a different USB port to normal.

Everything worked just fine.

I had just powered off and on to finalise a software update - maybe that helped.