This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved]Cinnamon Crashes Continously on Bootup

dee_mar

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49:03 pm

I have Zorin 12.2 Ultimate and few days ago it updated. After the updates were finished, I restarted the computer and now I continuously get an Error Message that Cinnamon has crashed and do you want to restart it -- Yes or No. When I select Yes to restart, it starts a cycle of Cinnamon has crashed do you want to restart it message. If I select no and not restart it, I get a black screen with no option to see the menu, clock or anything.

I'm a Novice of Linux so I have limited knowledge on how to fix this. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36:11 am

Hi, Cinnamon DE is not an integral part of any Zorin release; it never has been. Either you or another user has attempted to install it. My advice to you is to start in Zorin DE by clicking on the cog at the login screen. Once you have reached the desktop start the Terminal app (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter

Code:
sudo apt-get purge cinnamon

Please be aware that you will be asked for your login password (there will be no dots or asterisks shown when you do this so take care. (You get three attempts before dropping back to user.l.

dee_mar

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41:53 pm

I was able to remove Cinnamon so it didn't solve the problem 100% -- there are still problems. I've opted to just do a complete re-install of the OS and do more research before installing add-ons.

Thank you for your reply and help. :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:28:03 pm

Thanks for the update - Cinammon DE only worked to my knowledge up to Zorin 10 - never got round to trying it with 11. ;) :D