This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] usb msdos drives don't work anymore

Billy

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:53:08 am

My usb msdos drives don't work anymore. For a while sticks didn't work either. Now it is the 2.5" drives that can't be recognized or can't write if they can. They work perfectly on winxp machine.

zorin 6 LTS
amd phenom 4x & 6x
msi boards
4 & 8 GB ram

Everything worked last week.

Wolfman

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:54:53 am

Hi,

try doing a full system update by running "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable connection is required!.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Billy

Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:53:11 pm

I tried the dpkg repair and update commands. It removed 4 items not needed and loaded 0 new items.

I am still having trouble with the usb drives formatted on winXP.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:09:56 am

Hi,

I can only suggest you try a repair disk and run FSCK to check each drive, can you start Gparted and check the disk formatting that way?.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

Let us know what happens.

Billy

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:53:22 am

I got and ran the newest p-magic. The WD passport is detected and checks out fine on all machines. After a reformat it is detected under zorin 6 but a file write freezes up and after that it is not detected. All usb drives are undetected until the WD is unplugged. After that it is not detected. The 160 GB usb drive is detected and checks out only on an old HP machine.
The drives all still work on the HP under winXP. Kernel Linux 3.2.0-52-generic-pae seem to not like these drives.

Wolfman

Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:58:14 am

Hi Billy,

you are running a 32 bit version of Zorin on a 64 bit PC, have you considered running the 64 bit version of Zorin??.

Billy

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:17:04 am

I ran zorin 7 & 6 64 bit on the six core machine but it would not run executable files and the video drivers didn't work for mirror screens with the onboard radeon or an nvidia card. I went back to 6lts to make the machines useful.
I also was not happy with the file browser and zorin menus on ver7.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:33:26 am

Hi Billy,

have you checked the "Automount Status" of "Dconf-Editor"?, open dconf-editor and to Stop/Start Media Auto Mounting:

Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Desktop > Media-Handling > Automount/Automount-open/Autorun Never

It might help!????????.

See this thread too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4460&p=25526#p25526

Let us know if it changes anything.

Billy

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:41:14 am

Where do I find the dconf editor?

madvinegar

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:00:04 am

Also can you please check via synaptics package manager if you have the "ntfs3g" package installed?

Billy

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21:16 pm

I installed every ntfs package, dconf, dconf-tools and then ran editor. I set autorun to never.
after reboot the WD passport was recognised but file copy crashed before it started.
Disk utility can't recognise the file system or reformat. The machine will not shut or boot with the drive plugged in.
It works on winXP but the empty folders from the copy attempt are corrupt and can't be deleted. After a win reformat it is recognised again on zorin6.
Really, no change.

Billy

Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:10:36 pm

Thanks.

I did install dconf and dconf- tools from terminal after a few hours of trial and error,
The "Code: Select all" line does't do anything.

It seems odd that dconf and the startup apps do no install by default. I have been looking for some of those settings for weeks.

Billy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05:14 pm

I see, I was useing a mouse sweep to highlite, right click, copy and pasted the whole thing into terminal.

Thanks.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:08:26 am

Hi,

"Startup Applications" can be found under: > Menu > System Tools > Preferences > Startup Applications, see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Billy

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:47:46 am

The point I was making is that starup apps come up blank until you install them from terminal.

Wolfman

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:15:21 am

Hi Billy,

I am not quite sure what you mean by your last quote?, what apps are you talking about?.

Billy

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:21:42 pm

I mean if you go
"> Menu > System Tools > Preferences > Startup Applications"

it shows a blank list unless you install :

sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/*.desktop

Most users would not know about that.

Wolfman

Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:34:54 am

Hi Billy,

yes you are right but there is sadly nothing we can do to change that, that is something that Ubuntu left out because they don't want people mucking around with the startup apps menu I can only assume!. That is why I created this guide/how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2406

Billy

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28:36 pm

I installed zorin 6.4 64bit on the 6 core machine and the usb drives work fine!
I fixed the nvidia by turning off compiz>animations>dodge.

However firefox and flashplayer crash frequently. System errors are frequent. x-executable files will not run.

Wolfman

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:10:07 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try doing a full system update by running "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A network cable connection is required!.

Let us know if it helps.

Hi Billy,

I can only recommend that you try running DPKG again and see if updating fixes that problem with FF and Flash!. You can also change your software download location to see if there is an improvement, see the update guide for details:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if that helps.

madvinegar

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19:14 am

When you plug your USB sticks or drives and they don't work, open terminal and run:

sudo modprobe usb-storage

Then wait for 4-5 seconds and see if they get recognized (the nautilus window will pop up showing the contents of the drive).
If this will work, I will tell you how to fix it permanently.

Billy

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:28:38 am

I ran dpkg many times to no avail.

What did work was reinstalling with zorin6.4 32 and 64 bit. USB hard drives worked after that.
32 bit worked well right away.
64 bit required a lot of repair and update to work well and executable files have never run.
They did run on the 32 bit up to a week ago. Now it shows "There is no application installed for executable files." and they do not run. They have always worked on 32 bit in the past.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:18:59 am

Hi Billy,

make sure your system has this package installed, via a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch:i386

(This package depends on i386 versions of packages that were removed from
ia32-libs and transitioned to multi-arch. This allows applications using
ia32-libs in previous Ubuntu releases to continue functioning without missing
libraries.)

and:

Code:
sudo apt-get install multiarch-support

(This is a transitional package used to ensure multiarch support is present
in ld.so before unpacking libraries to the multiarch directories. It can
be removed once nothing on the system depends on it.)

This one might not be needed!.

Let us know if it helps.

Billy

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:53:09 pm

Thanks for the effort. I ran them but they did not help.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12:16 am

Hi Billy,

it might be worth trying a forced update as it may be a case of missing dependencies?:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if it helps.

Billy

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:04:27 am

The reinstall with Zorin 6.4 was the only thing that worked. The system seems to work well.
I still can't run the executables but I have found a way to use another application.
It seems that 6.3 didn't work with the updates.

Thanks guys.

Wolfman

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:33:47 am

Hi Billy,

can we mark this as solved?.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47:10 pm

Hi Wolfman - I think it is safe to do so - have marked as [SOLVED].