This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] The current input timing is not supported..

jojothehobo

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:44:17 pm

Here is a weird one. My Zorin 6 Ultimate is working fine, but for the second time now (the first was around a month ago), when I boot up, before I get a boot screen or anythng I can adjust, I get an error message on the monitor, a 23" Dell P2311 or something like that (it was hard to make out the fine print numbers embedded in Chinese). The message:

"The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display" followed by something that please reset it to 1920 x1080 x60hz, which is what I have it set to.

I tried adjusting the Dell display menu pixel timing, from 50hz to 60 hz, but no joy.
I googled the error, but most of the messages said boot into the boot menu by pressing F8, or by (from a Zorin posting) by hitting down arrow plus enter, neither of which worked since the monitor message is pre boot screen (pre grub). I then jiggled the cables, but that didn't do much.

However, I found a workaround that I can survive with. What I did was hook up an older Windows (shudder) box into the VGA port (My Zorin computer uses DVI) and the windows machine booted and then I clicked on the monitor menu and switched from VGA to DVI and, voila, it worked. I could actually live with that but it isn't the best.Some other people posted that they just turned the monitor on and off around 50 times, but that sounds frustrating too. This seems to be a problem mostly with Dell monitors although the Google search turned up other monitors that did this too.

So after all that windup here is the pitch (a US baseball phrase). I can continue the VGA-DVI cycling when this happens, which isn't every time. So this isn't an emergency. My question is whether any one else has seen this and has a slicker workaround to solve this boot up issue.
Thanks all

Jojo :?:

Wolfman

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:35:13 pm

Hi,

you need to reset the monitor, look for the reset settings and reset it and then boot your PC with the DVI cable attached and see if it works!.

Regards Wolfman :D

jojothehobo

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:39:58 pm

Hi Wolfman;
You must have been raised in a forest by a couple of computers. I didn't even know there was a reset button, but I found it on the monitor's menu. It said "reset to factory defaults, which I did. I then rebooted Zorin and voila, the screen booted right up. After that I tweaked the settings to get it where I like it, and rebooted again, successfully. It is a true joy when technology works as it should.

Your advice did the trick, as usual. I'm marking this one solved.

all the best
Jojo

Wolfman

Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56:50 am

Hi Joel,

I had the same problem once many moons ago and fiddled with my monitor and that is how I know it worked, my alien fairy computer family had nothing to do with it!. :D

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:36:17 pm

And another 60 blue jewels to Wolfman! :D