This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to make Skype menu windows appear properly

maccabbeo

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:05:14 pm

Skype menu1.png
First screenshot: before clicking on the Skype icon included in the Indicator Applet
Skype menu1.png (9.51 KiB)

Skype menu2.png
Second screenshot: after clicking, you could see a tiny line over the dock meaning something like the menu window is open, but empty?!?
Skype menu2.png (18.99 KiB)

Hi,
left or right clicking on the Skype icon placed in the "Indicator Applet" area will not open the Skype menu window.
Double click does not work either when it comes to open the Skype main and chat windows.
Please see the above 2 screenshots:

- First screenshot: before clicking on the Skype icon included in the Indicator Applet

- Second screenshot: after clicking, you could see a tiny line over the dock meaning something like the menu window is open, but empty?!?

How can I definitively solve the problem?
Thanks,
regards.

Cris70

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:01:33 pm

Hi I have no answer unfortunately, but I have the same problem and I'd like to definitely solve the problem too.
This problem has been around for too long.

Bye
Cris

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51:12 pm

Hi, this occurred in Zorin 6 in a school when running the Gnome DE - I think it could be an AWN Panel (the bottom panel) bug - and this is in part due to the option of 'notification area' being removed from the repositories. All I can suggest is that you move the AWN Panel to the right or top of screen, then install Cairo-Dock

Code:
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock
:

59.jpg

maccabbeo

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:33:04 pm

Damn! I installed Cairo and then uninstalled AWN. After logging out and logging in the result is a black screen! I cannot see anything: just a black screen! No desktop, no icons, no docking bar... just nothing, the system is unusable now!
I also tried rebooting several times: I get the same black screen!
I also tried to reboot in recovery mode, but maybe I'm not able to find the proper option to get the terminal at least and reinstall the AWN packages!

Help, please :(
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:58:11 pm

Hi maccabeo, Select the second option from the GRUB menu (Zorin advanced) and be sure you have a network connection enabled then select 'dpkg'.

When you get to the login screen you should have Cairo-Dock as an option showing when you click on the 'cog' next to the login box. Keep us posted.

Kiyonari

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:29:58 pm

This same thing happens to me but with the sound panel.

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:54:30 pm

Kiyonari wrote:This same thing happens to me but with the sound panel.

Can you explain please with screenshot? Once we have more information I will move it to a new thread as I don't want to start a fork in this one! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56:43 pm

maccabbeo wrote:Damn! I installed Cairo and then uninstalled AWN. After logging out and logging in the result is a black screen! I cannot see anything: just a black screen! No desktop, no icons, no docking bar... just nothing, the system is unusable now!
I also tried rebooting several times: I get the same black screen!
I also tried to reboot in recovery mode, but maybe I'm not able to find the proper option to get the terminal at least and reinstall the AWN packages!

Help, please :(
Thanks

Hi maccabbeo, Just had another thought, Try Ctrl+ Alt+ F1 - you should get a login prompt (terminal style) - enter your username - it will ask for your password as you would at logon but you will NOT see any asterisks so be careful. Then type:

Code:
startx
- this should start the display.

maccabbeo

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:35:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi maccabeo, Select the second option from the GRUB menu (Zorin advanced) and be sure you have a network connection enabled then select 'dpkg'.

I did it. Activating the network connection has been difficult, definitively. However, the problem is not solved. The dpkg operations just suggested me to remove unused packages.
I tried to install some awn related packages but all those I thought should have been installed already was. Do you have any suggestion on how to:
1) completely remove AWN
2) install AWN from scratch
3) uninstall Cairo Dock

??? unfortunately I have limited internet connections right now (problems never come alone...) so I would really appreciate you listing here what to do so next time I get back online I may find a good solution here. Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience.

Swarfendor437 wrote:When you get to the login screen you should have Cairo-Dock as an option showing when you click on the 'cog' next to the login box. Keep us posted.

No login screen till now :(

maccabbeo

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:45:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi maccabbeo, Just had another thought, Try Ctrl+ Alt+ F1 - you should get a login prompt (terminal style) - enter your username - it will ask for your password as you would at logon but you will NOT see any asterisks so be careful. Then type:

Code:
startx
- this should start the display.

No hopes. Same result. After logging in by tty and running startx I just get the black screen.
What else should I do?
thanks
regards

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:59:07 am

Hi maccabbeo, sorry you are still having issues. I am beginning to suspect a bad installation. Is Zorin only on this machine or is it dual boot? If the latter can you boot into windows and do a global search for *.chk files?

maccabbeo

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:57:50 pm

The installation was perfect, AFAICS.

I have only Zorin installed: NO dual boot.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09:25 pm

Hi maccabeo - all I can suggest is you read through this page I found and any workaround links pointed to - if it does not work it may need a reinstallation - sorry! :D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:17:02 pm

I think none of the cases reported in your link fits my case. Thank you anyway.

I am writing from a fresh install now and, of course, the problem with Skype persists.

maccabbeo

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:59:00 pm

I discovered something when changing the AWN dock Preferences. It seems the problem is when AWN dock is set to Behavior="Panel Mode" and Orientation="Bottom".
In fact, while in those conditions, selecting Style = "Edgy" and trying to interact with the Skype icon in the Notification area you will see the Skype popup windows appear towards the bottom of the screen. in fact, setting the Orientation=Top solves the probblem...

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45:33 pm

Well I don't appear to be having any issues after installing from the terminal - AWN is working ok for me in panel mode but I have removed indicator applet 3 - suspect that might be the issue - it appears to be an AWN bug anyways! ;)

maccabbeo

Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:52:25 am

Yes, AWN bug. So, what's next? File a bug on lauchpad, right?
Well, here it is https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn/+bug/1288576

maccabbeo

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54:03 am

Maybe the problem was related to uninstalling the "file" file manager when I wanted to replace it with another file manager (dolphin, AFAICR).
I mean, before rebooting I did both things: replacing FILE with DOLPHIN and also AWN with CAIRO.

Could this be the cause of such a mess?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:48:40 pm

It is possible - have you tried running in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
?

What is the situation with Cairo and Skype at present?

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:02:48 pm

OK Just checked my Skype install and the Away stuff etc only shows (allbeit in the scroll window) once logged in!

maccabbeo

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:52:30 am

Cannot tell what's the situation with Cairo. As I wrote here http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6486#p30941 few posts back on this thread, I tried installing Cairo and uninstalling AWN a serious problem arose: black screen after plymouth.
So, I had to reinstall Zorin from scratch and now i'm wondering what to do in order to get rid of that buggy AWN in a safe way.
So, the reply to your question is: I still don't know whether Skype works properly with Cairo or not.

Is there anyonw who removed AWN and replaced it with something else without any problem?

Is it me almost the only one having issues between skype and awn with Zorin?

Cris70

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:31:12 am

Me too, as I already told in another thread.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:09:19 pm

Hi maccabbeo, I am going to merge this thread with the AWN panel later! :D