This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Download 1d 17hrs....!!!!! Help

Wirezfree

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:11:34 pm

Hi,

*** Added Update at end of thread ***

Just started to install Virtual Update... started off normally
Now it's moving 1k every so often...
estimates now 1d 14hrs 50mins

Should I leave it, see if speeds up.?
or do I kill it.?, How to kill it.?
If I kill it will the install get messed up.?

Internet O.K,
Current speed test show my BB @ 7.0 Mb Down / 2.5 Up

Now showing 1d 14hrs 40mins

Thanks - Dave

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:37:59 pm

Hi Dave, what is a 'Virtual Update'?

Wirezfree

Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59:11 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Dave, what is a 'Virtual Update'?

My fingers are quicker than my brain :oops:

Virtualbox Update

Dave

Wirezfree

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:12:31 pm

Hi,

I'm not being very helpful tonight....

I did it using: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

I've done it this way twice on Linux Mint, and earlier in the week on Zorin, quick, no issues and always worked
I did my Zorin fresh install a few days ago, now I'm getting back to where I was.

Dave

Wirezfree

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:26:38 pm

Hi,

I found this...
http://askubuntu.com/questions/253925/h ... et-install

Indicates a ctrl C then
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and it should resume.?

I have nothing to loose...
I can do a fresh install & configure in a couple of hours now

Dave

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:53:13 pm

What I tend to do is install Virtual Box afresh - if you go to their site and download packages for Ubuntu (.deb) then that should install - the latest version 4.0.38 does not yet have an extension pack - could this be the issue you are facing?

Wirezfree

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:25:41 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:What I tend to do is install Virtual Box afresh - if you go to their site and download packages for Ubuntu (.deb) then that should install - the latest version 4.0.38 does not yet have an extension pack - could this be the issue you are facing?

Hi Swarfendor437,

I stopped & restarted, everything went O.K
Installed 4.3.8, installed the 4.3.8 extension manually after downloading it.
It runs, not done a VM yet, needed to go out, will try later today.
It seems nothing is ever straightforward for me. :(
dmesg log file
Code:
vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
vboxdrv: Found 4 processor cores.
vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0xf8 offMax=0x4796
vboxdrv: TSC mode is 'synchronous', kernel timer mode is 'normal'.
vboxdrv: Successfully loaded version 4.3.8 (interface 0x001a0007).

I have Googled the verification failed, again it's not clear if it's a VBox error or Bug.?

Dave

Wirezfree

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:41:12 am

I feel I'm going backwards....

I just spotted thes below the vbox entries in dmesg

These are new
Code:
init: plymouth-stop pre-start process (1146) terminated with status 1
audit_printk_skb: 45 callbacks suppressed

I feel I'm going backwards.. more unknown entries appearing, and I'm not sure why.?
Plus the apparmor="status" messages just seem to be growing by the boot

Dave

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:42:40 pm

OK can you choose Advanced options at boot and boot into an earlier version of Zorin Kernel?

Wirezfree

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:32:17 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK can you choose Advanced options at boot and boot into an earlier version of Zorin Kernel?

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks for your patience, much appreciated, So a new day, and a somewhat clearer head.
I have re-booted, no "Plymouth reference", so put that one to the side for the moment.

I guess my lack of knowledge on what is/isn't normal, and should I be concerned or not is coming through.

I suppose the 3 items... are:
1. The "vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel". Is it normal.?, come up a lot in googling in many dmesg logs.
2. The sudden appearance of these apparmour entries, again is this normal.?, even if I don't remember doing anything to start them.
3. This appearance of "audit_printk_skb: 45 callbacks suppressed", again is this a normal entry.?

Thanks again.
Dave

ps,
I have seen references to "Blue Shiny Things"
Not sure what they are.?, but whatever they are...
I think you deserve a wheelbarrow full :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:37:02 am

Wirezfree wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:OK can you choose Advanced options at boot and boot into an earlier version of Zorin Kernel?

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks for your patience, much appreciated, So a new day, and a somewhat clearer head.
I have re-booted, no "Plymouth reference", so put that one to the side for the moment.

I guess my lack of knowledge on what is/isn't normal, and should I be concerned or not is coming through.

I suppose the 3 items... are:
1. The "vboxdrv: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel". Is it normal.?, come up a lot in googling in many dmesg logs.
2. The sudden appearance of these apparmour entries, again is this normal.?, even if I don't remember doing anything to start them.
3. This appearance of "audit_printk_skb: 45 callbacks suppressed", again is this a normal entry.?

Thanks again.
Dave

ps,
I have seen references to "Blue Shiny Things"
Not sure what they are.?, but whatever they are...
I think you deserve a wheelbarrow full :)

Hi Wirezfree, Sorry for the delay - A. My network provider (ISP) has kept dropping out! B. Kept getting reports that this forum was down!

1. This could be because the latest version of virtualbox may not match the current kernel - I would try an earlier 'stable' version - I only installed 4.0.38 in Windows 8.1.
2. To be honest I have not been checking on apparmour entries - will need to see what is going on in my machine.
3. Not sure what this is at all unless something to do with printing?

And I don't think I am worht a barrel full of blue jewels - far from it friend! :D

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:47:44 am

Hi Wirezfree, Sorry for the delay - A. My network provider (ISP) has kept dropping out! B. Kept getting reports that this forum was down!

1. This could be because the latest version of virtualbox may not match the current kernel - I would try an earlier 'stable' version - I only installed 4.0.38 in Windows 8.1.
2. To be honest I have not been checking on apparmour entries - will need to see what is going on in my machine.
3. Not sure what this is at all unless something to do with printing?

And I don't think I am worht a barrel full of blue jewels - far from it friend! :D

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks...
I also had some Chrome Ooops messages when trying to get on the forum, can't remember when though..??

So,
No more Plymouth message..

The Virtualbox install went O.K, so I took a chance and put a small distro, Linux Lite in a VM to test it, been running on/off for good 6 hrs, no obvious issues

The apparmour seems to pop up in lots of googled dmesg logs, guess it must be normal, no words like error/fail/taint
only ref I could find was: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Integrity_ ... chitecture thats on a Gentoo page, near the end
"if you get lines such as audit_printk_skb: XX callbacks suppressed as you then might not have all the information you need"

Thanks... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:11:43 am

Hi, your Oops messages wouldn't pertain to accessing this forum would it? I am having loads of difficulty - OpenDNS keeps referring me to 'website unavailable.com' everytime I visit this forum - currently having to access this forum using Windows 8.1 only - Opera and Firefox on Zorin keep preventing me from getting on - wonder if there is some D.D.O.S (Direct Denial Of Service)! :cry:

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:31:17 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, your Oops messages wouldn't pertain to accessing this forum would it? I am having loads of difficulty - OpenDNS keeps referring me to 'website unavailable.com' everytime I visit this forum - currently having to access this forum using Windows 8.1 only - Opera and Firefox on Zorin keep preventing me from getting on - wonder if there is some D.D.O.S (Direct Denial Of Service)! :cry:

Hi Swarfendor437,

I found my DNS settings had changed in my tcip settings on WinXP
It had changed in the properties page from obtain DNS Auto to 2 fixed addresses
on the settings page, not sure how, but now O.K

tcipdns.PNG

Cheers... Dave

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:00:38 pm

Hi Dave, I use Open DNS - FINALLY BACK ON HERE SO IF I DISAPPEAR FOR SOME TIME IT IS NOT FOR WANT OF TRYING! :D

Open DNS servers are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I can get to the Zorin Home page no problem but if I hit the 'Help' menu header, then select 'Forum' I get - website unavailable - I have had to do a search for Zorin Forum in DuckDuckGo search engine to get to this session! :evil:

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:47:30 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Dave, I use Open DNS - FINALLY BACK ON HERE SO IF I DISAPPEAR FOR SOME TIME IT IS NOT FOR WANT OF TRYING! :D

Open DNS servers are: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. I can get to the Zorin Home page no problem but if I hit the 'Help' menu header, then select 'Forum' I get - website unavailable - I have had to do a search for Zorin Forum in DuckDuckGo search engine to get to this session! :evil:

O.K, no issues here..
I have my DNS set on my router, and always use that, not sure how it changed.?

BTW,
Virtualbox is running fine... playing with it, One odd anomaly, I installed Linux Lite, used defaults all fine.
I thought I would see if it would go a little quicker when I changed base memory from 512MB to 2048MB
boot time went from @ 15secs(512MB) to @ 27secs(2048MB) .. more memory = slower boot..!! :o

Wirezfree

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:00:03 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

If you are still able to connect to forum.?
Some thing I have come across, don't ever remember doing this.?
1st you install the VBox Application, then within VBox preferences you add the corresponding Extension pack...

Now I have found this: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#idp55931584
Installing Guest Additions within the Guest, once you have your Guest installed...
Don't ever remember doing this on Windows.?

Everything seem to be running O.K

Dave

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:39:54 pm

Hi Wirezfree, I am in my lunch-break but take your word for it - perhaps it is due to the latest release? Not got round to installing on Zorin yet but guess it means what it says it means - and OS within an OS within an OS - might get complicated! :lol:

Wirezfree

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:21:43 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wirezfree, I am in my lunch-break but take your word for it - perhaps it is due to the latest release? Not got round to installing on Zorin yet but guess it means what it says it means - and OS within an OS within an OS - might get complicated! :lol:

Hi,

Yes... It's working,
I can't believe it only takes @ 4.5 ~ 4.8 secs to boot, :o
512MB allocated in VBox on an i5-4200 with 16GB

Dave

Wirezfree

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:02:19 pm

Hi,

My experience with VBox was on Windows.
My experience(lack of) on Linux led me in circles.

1. We have VBox app installed on Host, currently 4.3.8-92456
2. We have Extension pack, added in VBox on the Host, currently 4.3.8-92456

Now where I got stuck was guest additions, they are automatically added on Windows.
But it appears, from what I can see, "Guest Additions are included in Linux(Ubuntu build)
I assume maybe because there is an expectation it maybe run in a VM.?
Well it appears what's included gets out of synch with VBox releases.
You can update VBox host, but Guest utils does not get updated.
Long story short, I needed to update Guest utils to match Host 4.3.8

A quick google led me to this... sorry it's a Mint item, but gives a step by step guide.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-19 ... -mint.html
Worked for me, now everything is 4.3.8, till the next release :

Thanks to Swarfendor437, for putting up with the questions.

Cheers
Dave