This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] from outlook to thunderbird

gagaman

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:56:14 pm

Hi all,

I'm in the proces of switching from a windows7 system to a Zorin system.

I have a dualboot at the moment windows7/Zorin. Windows7 is installed on the c:/
On windows 7 I use outlook 2013 for mail and appointments.
So I need to import my mails, mapstructure, saved mails, appointments and my contacts from Outlook(windows) to Thunderbird (Linux).

Suggestions to do this highly appreciated ;)

Wirezfree

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:58:00 pm

gagaman wrote:Hi all,

I'm in the proces of switching from a windows7 system to a Zorin system.

I have a dualboot at the moment windows7/Zorin. Windows7 is installed on the c:/
On windows 7 I use outlook 2013 for mail and appointments.
So I need to import my mails, mapstructure, saved mails, appointments and my contacts from Outlook(windows) to Thunderbird (Linux).

Suggestions to do this highly appreciated ;)

Hi gagman...

Oh my favourite topic "Outlook" on Linux Platform.
I'm very new to Linux, but have used Outlook since 1996, yes I know it was only released in 97, long story.

Before thinking of migrating anything... What Type or How do connect to your mail server.?
Is it POP3, IMAP or is it Exchange Server, or a Service like Google/Outlook.com ??

That will dictate the method and/or complexity, I have spent hours on this.

Unfortunately for me :(
I connect to Hosted Exchange(https/rpc/proxy) with no "Auto Discover" option from my provider.
The nearest solution for me would have been "Evolution", but the mapi or webdav connector does support my method.
My only option is Virtualbox with Windows Guest & Outlook Client, or resort to using OWA :(

Dave

((BTW IMHO Evolution is the nearest in look & feel to Outlook you will find))

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47:21 pm

Evolution is the Open Source rival of Outlook and is the only mail application that can import Outlook stuff from what I read somewhere - it also has a very similar look and feel to Outlook. I would see if you could synchronise your stuff first before taking the plunge! :D

gagaman

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33:14 am

Thanks for the help.

Gonna try this:

*Install Evolution mail in windows 7
*Migrate data and structure of Outlook to Evolution
*Export the Evolutiondata on my Win7 system to USB or Datadisk
*Install Evolution on Zorin
*Import the Evolution-win7 data into Evolution-Zorin

I'll keep you update how it turns out...

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:35:57 pm

Hi, the Windows version is well ... not worth installing! Not a patch on the GNU/Linux version - I installed it on my HP Mini Netbook and it is very poor build! :(

gagaman

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14:21 pm

Ah, a pity that... but thanks for letting me know.

Second plan:
*Install thunderbird mail in windows 7
*Migrate data and structure of Outlook to thunderbird
*Export the thunderbirddata on my Win7 system to USB or Datadisk
*Install Evolution on Zorin
*Import the thunderbird-win7 data into Evolution-Zorin

any thougs on this plan appreciated offcourse ;)

gagaman

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:13:18 pm

I managed to transfer my outlook to thunderbird. Mapstructure and saved mails and contacts are ok so far.
Two google accounts are active on thunderbird.
My business account is for tomorrow... Have to talk to our IT manager first ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:08:02 pm

Basically I would have exported your Outlook file to .pst in your documents folder, Boot into Zorin, install Evolution, mount your Windows drive - access your 'My Documents' folder and imported the .ost file to Evolution - remember Thunderbird does not have appointments/calendar function like Evolution and I read somewhere that it can import/sync most settings. Never done this as I stopped using Outlook many years ago - and there was an 'action group' that came back together to complain about Outlook as it does not adhere to e-mail client 'rules'. I think the only one that does is Pegasus Mail but it can be problematical on newer Windows systems. I have dropped back to Thunderbird as I don't need appointments/reminders at home! :D

gagaman

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:33:24 am

well, I think om gonna stick with thunderbird. First impression is very nice.
I can access my appointments and calender on skydrive (onedrive). So thats not really an issue.

Edit: just reread my first post where I mentioned the calendar/appointments part.... My bad this was not necessary for my needs. :oops:

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:48:16 pm

No worries, will mark as [SOLVED]! :D