This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED)Autostart and password in Zorin 8 Lite

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 10:10:42 am

Hi

I want to make some setting changes to my laptop to get it loading and starting to this iStart page:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/211598568/How ... -Metro-Lap

First thing is how to set the password setting so that it does not require it in startup in Zorin 8 Lite. It was set during installation and I can not find now out how to remove it. The second question is how Chrome can be set to autostart in startup. Chrome itself is set to launch the iStart when started. I know how to do it in Zorin 8 Core, just right click the icon and set to "Add to System start up", but it is different in Lite.

I want that the start up goes automatically to that "iStart page" due to I have 2 desktops in use in my laptop, one for quick start web pages and applications from Chrome using iStart and the other for starting other Zorin applications from "zorin menu", from "desktop icons" or from "Filemanager/Applications menu". This setup using Zorin 8 Lite, which boots quickly from full install USBdrive (16 Gb SanDisk Cruzer Fit) would be the fastest way to start whatsoever application after start in a HP 530 laptop.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 1:57:01 pm

I can advise on autologin but not sure of the rest. As Zorin Lite is based on Lubuntu, follow this guide - Zorin Lite 8 is based on Lubuntu 14.04 so follow the guide further down the page:

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/enable-lubuntu-auto-login/

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 2:34:05 pm

Hi
I find also from that link this. Whole issue seems to be more complicated than expexted ? I can try the "Alternative method" if it works. However what is the right name for "Chrome" to start? How to edit that file?

How I can autostart a program when logging into Desktop

Offical documentation here.
If you would like to use the GUI to move the shortcut to autostart, see this answer.

Alternatively, first you need to copy a .desktop -file to your .config folder's autostart folder.

cp /usr/share/applications/urxvtd.desktop ~/.config/autostart/
After copying we need to activate the starting from menu: Menu -> Preferences -> Desktop Session Settings

Please note that the directory may need to be created first:

mkdir ~/.config/autostart
for a PCManFM window

leafpad ~/.config/autostart/pcmanfm.desktop
and change

Exec=pcmanfm %U
to
Exec=pcmanfm

Alternatively, Just create a file with these lines:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/somepath/myapplication

Alternative method

Make the directories "lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart" in "~/.config/"

mkdir -p ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/
touch ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
Then edit the file with the name of the applications you want to start, one per line. Example:

pcmanfm
sylpheed
chromium-browser

Autostart method for all users

add the program to /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart

Rother49

Sun May 11, 2014 3:05:42 pm

Hi
in Zorin 6 you can right click the application in the the Zorin menu "add to system startup"
Is it not the same in Zorin 8

Rother

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 3:11:35 pm

Hi

It is the same in Zorin 8 Core and Ultimate but not in Zorin 8 Lite. Thanks however. :)

Anonymous

Sun May 11, 2014 4:22:08 pm

Hi, I made this

"mkdir -p ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/
touch ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart
Then edit the file with the name of the applications you want to start, one per line. Example:"

I made these but I didn't find this file anywhere.

I find the last option file " /etc/xdg/lxsession//Lubuntu/autostart" -file but I could not edit it. How to put "chrome-browser" there. I believe that have to be done from Terminal as super user, but what are the exact command line(s) to edit it there?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this change as super user to login without password in Terminal but there is not "save" in the "File" menu and I don't know how to "save" the changes in to the file " /ect/lightdm/lightdm.conf" and "exit" from the terminal.

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=USERNAME
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=Zorin-os-Lite
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

USERNAME= my username

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 7:29:41 pm

The name of 'Chrome' for Linux is in the static shot of my video:

http://vimeo.com/89178141

;)

Anonymous

Mon May 12, 2014 4:59:57 am

Hi

Nice video, but did not help me to put this script to the file:

I made this change as super user to login without password in Terminal but there is not "save" in the Terminal's "File menu" and I don't know how to "save" the changes into the file " /ect/lightdm/lightdm.conf" as follows:

sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=USERNAME
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=Zorin-os-Lite
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

USERNAME= my username

And also the following autostart software name to the file:

File " /etc/xdg/lxsession//Lubuntu/autostart" How to put "chrome-browser" there from Terminal as super user. What are the exact command line(s) to edit it there and save to the file? In the links there is just mentioned that after editing. "save", "exit" and "reboot" but don't know how ?

Some help for this is needed.

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 7:39:57 am

Hi,

you can install the package "gnome-session" which will install the "Startup Applications" app from Gnome which might be easier to use.

To start "Startup Applications", paste the following command in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
gnome-session-properties

Then you can add your scripts to startup, I have not tried to add anything, I have just tried to see if it works with installing in an LXDE OS!.

Click on "Add" and browse for the command (or copy and paste the command if you already know it) and add it to the middle line "Command".
desktop 1_001.jpg

Anonymous

Mon May 12, 2014 9:02:56 am

Hi

Some progress, I installed that application but I don,t know what is the right command to be included to start Chrome. I tried only "chrome-browser" and "chrome" but those did not start the Chrome browser. So what might be the right command here.

You have there some examples in the picture, so opening some of those to "edit" there could be more information, what kind commands there should be. I believe that there should be also some link to that software location and the right name used there. I tried to find some program folder from root to find where the chrome is located but did not manage to find anything.

Wolfman

Mon May 12, 2014 10:26:49 am

Hi Henri,

once you start "Startup Applications", do the following:

Click on: Add > Browse > Computer > Usr > Bin > search for google browser and double click it to add the command, give a name then save it!.

There are 2 Google commands there, one is normal and the other is for the stable version!. I don't know which is which, try "Stable" first I would say!.
desktop 1_002.jpg

Anonymous

Mon May 12, 2014 12:33:16 pm

Hi

Sorry to say, but that does not start the Chrome after restart. I tried several times with both options "stable" and without, but did not start Chrome. All is according to what is shown in the pictures. I ticked it off and on to see if that makes some difference, but did not. Don't know if there is still something to do or doesn't that not work overall. :( Have you tried that it works?

Anonymous

Mon May 12, 2014 5:01:38 pm

Hi

I find out what should be done. There is in the Preferencies/lxsession-default-apps. There can be enabled the "autostart" applications. I selected "Disable autostarted applications" to NO. Then Chrome started but there came some error messages. I do not know what is the reason now for that, but I will examine that closer later.

I closed the messages and rebooted, so these error messages did not appear any more. Lets see what happends later on? However now we know how to " add " an application to the "autostart" and how to "enable" it to start.

The password "enabling/disabling" requires that the additional script lines is stored to the file, but that might be an other story how to do that. It is known what to do, but there is not known means now how to do that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now restarted several times and it seems to work now ok. without any error messages. Chrome autostarts and also autolaunches the iStart page to the first desktop just as it schould.

Anonymous

Mon May 12, 2014 9:37:07 pm

Hi

Here some screenshots how the iStart (autostart) and customized windows themes with (Zorin Light modified) colors are now set to my Laptop using Zorin 8 Lite.

Themes Zorin 8 lite 6.png

Themes Zorin 8 Lite 4.png

Themes Zorin 8 Lite 3.png

Themes Zorin 8 Lite 1.png

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:04:59 am

Hi,

I did say I wasn't sure as to whether it would work or not and I didn't try it as I only installed Zorin Lite to write the guide, I didn't cover everything in it as I don't have the expertise to do so, there are several links for LXDE (Lubuntu) included in the Zorin Lite guide, have a look there, you might find more details although you seem to have everything the way you want now!:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Setup

Anonymous

Tue May 13, 2014 5:48:56 am

Hi

Lot of thanks of all the valuable information I got to get this done. Everything works now fine. Only some feedback from this case study to developers that the "autostart" should not be that complicated to set and that there are many themes that don't work satisfactory with all ready installed or preferred applications.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 13, 2014 11:54:40 am

Interesting 'Metro' style there - my only concern now is how long it will last in view of the fact that Oracle has had its appeal upheld in it's case against Google in respect of Android API's which are now subject to copyright! ;)

Anonymous

Tue May 13, 2014 12:10:49 pm

Hi
It depends if someone else than Google has ip rights to this and specified it carefully. There will be something else (similar) if this fails. Here is a link to a .pdf file where the functionality of iStart has been described in details.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/211598568/How ... -Metro-Lap

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:15:38 pm

Hi Henri,

can we mark this as solved now?.:D

Anonymous

Tue May 13, 2014 1:25:56 pm

Hi
Yes, I marked this solved. Thanks additionally for valuable help.