This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Remove password prompts

brumwellcourt

Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:23:54 pm

I have just installed Zorin as a replacement for Windows XP on my Sony Vaio PC and it seems to be OK. However, I am constantly being prompted to enter my user password and this is a real pain. Is there a way to disable or remove password prompts ?

Linx

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23:21 pm

Can you supply a screenshot of the prompts?

It would be keyrings, it could be asking for root permissions, or it would be terminal things. Knowing which one would help us out. =]

brumwellcourt

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44:40 am

HI, I cannot supply a screenshot of the most frequent prompt, which is after the screen has timed out, because the print screen facility won't work when Im logged out! However, I have managed to get a scren print of another event which is attached. What would be ideal is to remove the need for my user password completely. Hope this helps, and thanks for taking an interest.

Linx

Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:08:41 pm

I would suggest your try adding your user to the sudoers file.

basically, run the commad
Code:
sudo visudo
It is going to ask for your password. Then at the bottom of the file add the the following line (replacing USER with your user name.)
Code:
USER ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
You should be able to save by pressing [ctrl] + [o] and then you can exit by pressing [ctrl] + [x] off the top of my head. Then anything requiring root access shouldn't prompt.

Hope this helps!

brumwellcourt

Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18:27 pm

Hi I have tried this and in native UNiX (Ubuntu) this fix has removed the password prompt successfully but unfortunately in the Zorin overlayer, the password prompt remains. Rats!

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:04:06 pm

From your first response about not being able to take a screenshot at login suggests you are wanting to boot without password - is that all you require? If you go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Users - unlock your user (will require password! :lol: ) and change to 'logiin automatically'. Not advisable to remove all passwords as you will have issues installing apps/updating with no password to elevate you to 'root' (administrator).