This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Wireless Internet won't work w/ Zorin OS 9.1 Core

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:23:43 pm

Alright, i've seen tons and tons of topics with the same description, so here's another. I just installed the newest Zorin OS, and low and behold, my wireless internet adapter isn't operating. It's a Netgear WNA3100 wireless adapter. Only ethernet is working atm. I've tried to install the drivers from the disc, it says it was successful but there is only an option for the Ethernet. No clue where 'Additional Drivers' are either, as the FAQ says. Anyone got a solution?

jonas99

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:38:51 pm

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:48:30 pm

jonas99 wrote:Try this .

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2221251

Appreciate the response, didn't help though.

Anonymous

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:50:50 pm

Look a little deeper into the forum next time.
Be surprised at what you might find.
Just about every topic that can be brought up...is already on the forum.
Has been answered at least 20 times over...there by making it even easier to find with answers.
Link : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6354
Though forum is very disorganized on some part confusing new members...with the outdated...extra garbage.
I feel for some of the new members in way.

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:00:12 pm

Gizmuntu wrote:Look just a little harder on the forum next time. :D
Might be surprised at what you find.

Got up to the part where you install the driver. It's installed. No clue how to do the rest, could you possibly assist me with a walkthrough?

"Then you need to edit the connection - if you had to use a different dongle in the meantime, you will need to use the drop-down at the end of the MAC address to get the current WNDA 3100 mac address which will have (wlan1) in brackets after it - then 'Save' "

This part throws me off. No clue what it means. :(

Anonymous

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:07:44 pm

RedMistBeComin wrote:
Gizmuntu wrote:Look just a little harder on the forum next time. :D
Might be surprised at what you find.

Got up to the part where you install the driver. It's installed. No clue how to do the rest, could you possibly assist me with a walkthrough?

"Then you need to edit the connection - if you had to use a different dongle in the meantime, you will need to use the drop-down at the end of the MAC address to get the current WNDA 3100 mac address which will have (wlan1) in brackets after it - then 'Save' "

This part throws me off. No clue what it means. :(

This is Swarfendors [ How To ] in turn is a ?????? whether it works or not.

Wait on Madvinegar to get you in the right direction.
If needed for [ .inf file ] > driver <
Everything I own is up to date gizmo's via wireless connection.
I don't make it a common practice to keep up with old news [ wireless adapters ].
Madvinegar is the person whom stays on top of those sort of things.

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40:51 pm

WNA3100, so the Broadcom chipset.

Anonymous

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:00:30 pm

RedMistBeComin > wait on Madvinegar to help you get situated the first time.
In the mean time there are 408 videos relative to your topic.
OOPs > [ YouTube.com }
That might give you the needed nudge without MD's help.
Search will be the same way.
Some people on the forum like touching the keyboard to see themselves.
Don't have a clue sometimes as to what ____________??
All it does is sometimes confuse the member/user whom is asking the question even more.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:27:51 pm

Hi is it not WNDA3100?

Basically, you need to be wired first to install two essential packages if you are using Windows Wireless Drivers - aka ndiswrapper.

Open Synaptic (Package Manager) - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager.

In the tiny search box in the middle near top, search for ndiswrapper - be sure you have a wired connection whilst you do this!

The two essential packages are:

ndiswrapper-dkms
ndiswrapper-source

It may say it needs to install other dependencies if you mark each of these for installation which will be fine - then using Windows Wireless Drivers under Administration - search for the .inf file that I posted (originallly posted by madvinegar but someone somewhere removed them in the past) so download them from my posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6354&hilit=+wnda

If you are in need of the 32-bit here it is:

0846_9011_32bit.tar.gz
(410.39 KiB)

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:33:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi is it not WNDA3100?

Basically, you need to be wired first to install two essential packages if you are using Windows Wireless Drivers - aka ndiswrapper.

Open Synaptic (Package Manager) - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager.

In the tiny search box in the middle near top, search for ndiswrapper - be sure you have a wired connection whilst you do this!

The two essential packages are:

ndiswrapper-dkms
ndiswrapper-source

It may say it needs to install other dependencies if you mark each of these for installation which will be fine - then using Windows Wireless Drivers under Administration - search for the .inf file that I posted (originallly posted by madvinegar but someone somewhere removed them in the past) so download them from my posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6354&hilit=+wnda

If you are in need of the 32-bit here it is:

0846_9011_32bit.tar.gz

Hello! It is not WNDA3100, it is 'WNA3100'. And there's green boxes along 5 results for ndiswrapper, so i'm assuming that means they've already been downloaded from my previous attempts. I went ahead and installed the 64bit file from your link, but i'm unclear as to what to do next.

EDIT:: I went into the WIndows WIreless Drivers and searched for the file, and when I went to install it, it gives me an error message. 'Invalid Driver!' with a red X.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35:00 pm

Just so we are clear, are you running 64-bit?

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just so we are clear, are you running 64-bit?

I am indeed!

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45:59 pm

OK, download the 64-bit package from that original post, then extract using 'Archive Manager' after right-clicking the downloaded archive.

Next, go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Windows Wireless Drivers - you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to root (Administrator).

Click on 'Install New Driver' - -click on the 'browse' button to the right of 'None' box and go to the folder with the 64-bit.inf - that is what you need to select - it should indicate in the left window a wiereless beacon and bcmn43xx64 with 'Hardware presnet: Yes' underneath - give it a few minutes to see if it picks up your router - you may want to try logging off and logging back on so that the dongle is picked up at boot time.

Keep us posted! :D

RedMistBeComin

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51:16 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, download the 64-bit package from that original post, then extract using 'Archive Manager' after right-clicking the downloaded archive.

Next, go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Windows Wireless Drivers - you will be asked for your login password to elevate you to root (Administrator).

Click on 'Install New Driver' - -click on the 'browse' button to the right of 'None' box and go to the folder with the 64-bit.inf - that is what you need to select - it should indicate in the left window a wiereless beacon and bcmn43xx64 with 'Hardware presnet: Yes' underneath - give it a few minutes to see if it picks up your router - you may want to try logging off and logging back on so that the dongle is picked up at boot time.

Keep us posted! :D

Okie dokie, I did just as you said and when I clicked on the .inf file, it came up with an error saying Invalid Driver! and a red X. :(

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54:08 pm

OK, follow Gizmuntu's advice and wait for madvinegar. :D

In the meantime take a look at this thread here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-882472/

Anonymous

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:10:36 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, follow Gizmuntu's advice and wait for madvinegar. :D

In the meantime take a look at this thread here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-882472/

Madvinegar has been a busy body helping on the forum this week.
I'm sure you'll hear from him by the end of the weekend.
Probably took a little breather today.
Be Patient :D :D
He'll be around sooner or later to help you out.
Wireless is his specialty....so it will be worth the wait for ya.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:28:21 am

Just to keep this thread updated, the solution has still yet to be found!:(

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:19:35 am

Sorry, Just seen this thread.
My guess would be that you need ndiswrapper as well.
Can you please post the result of the command

lspci

just to check the id of your wireless usb dongle.
Thanx.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:49:28 pm

madvinegar wrote:Sorry, Just seen this thread.
My guess would be that you need ndiswrapper as well.
Can you please post the result of the command

lspci

just to check the id of your wireless usb dongle.
Thanx.

I thought so aswell. :x
Here's the result of the command:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 03)
00:03.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PT IDER Controller (rev 03)
00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Serial KT Controller (rev 03)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JD (ICH10D) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57:45 pm

Ok, also please post the result of

lsusb

Also, make sure that you have all the necessary packages for ndiswrapper installed. Open synaptics package manager from the Zorin Menu, and find the following packages and mark them for installation. Then click "apply" to install them.

ndisgtk
ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
ndiswrapper-source
ndiswrapper-dkms

From what I understand, you probably have already installed ndiswrapper but the driver you are using is not the correct one...?
From the result of "lsusb" we will see the ID of the dongle and probably through google we can find the correct driver.
Otherwise, in case you still have the CD with the drivers of the dongle, you can install same using WINE like you would do in an XP pc, and then navigate inside

/home/your_username/.wine/drive_c/windows/inf

Inside the inf folder there must be another folder named something like "WNA3100". Copy this file as it is inside your Documents folder. Inside this folder (WNA3100) you will find the .inf file needed to enable your wireless with ndiswrapper.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:03:33 pm

madvinegar wrote:Ok, also please post the result of

lsusb

Also, make sure that you have all the necessary packages for ndiswrapper installed. Open synaptics package manager from the Zorin Menu, and find the following packages and mark them for installation. Then click "apply" to install them.

ndisgtk
ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
ndiswrapper-source
ndiswrapper-dkms

Here's the results from the code:

Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c52a Logitech, Inc.
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp. RT7D50 Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

And I installed all of the ndiswrapper packages.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:10:45 pm

Download the driver you need from here: http://matthew-4gl.wikispaces.com/file/ ... ear.tar.gz

As soon as you download it extract it (right click and select "extract here").
A folder named Netgear will be created.
Inside there will be two files. Use the one named bcmwlhigh5.inf in ndiswrapper.

Let me know if it worked.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14:53 pm

madvinegar wrote:Download the driver you need from here: http://matthew-4gl.wikispaces.com/file/ ... ear.tar.gz

As soon as you download it extract it (right click and select "extract here").
A folder named Netgear will be created.
Inside there will be two files. Use the one named bcmwlhigh5.inf in ndiswrapper.

Let me know if it worked.

Downloaded the driver. By use in ndiswrapper you mean install with WIndows Wireless Drivers right? In that case, it's giving me a red X with the words 'Invalid Driver!"

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:20:03 pm

Are you sure you are not using the previous driver?

In terminal run the command:

sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/$USER/Downloads/Netgear/bcmwlhigh5.inf

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:23:19 pm

madvinegar wrote:Are you sure you are not using the previous driver?

In terminal run the command:

sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/$USER/Downloads/Netgear/bcmwlhigh5.inf

I don't believe so. The command gave me this:

driver bcmwlhigh5 is already installed

EDIT:: I went into Windows Wireless Drivers and hit Remove Device on the bcmwlhigh5 driver that said it was Invalid, and ran your code again. I got this.
installing bcmwlhigh5 ...
couldn't find "bcmwlhigh564.sys" in "/home/nick/Downloads/Netgear"; make sure all driver files, including .inf, .sys (and any firmware files) are in "/home/nick/Downloads/Netgear" -
installation may be incomplete

This is odd because both the .sys and .inf are clearly in the Netgear folder inside Downloads.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:31:53 pm

Download this folder https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9x5jc055hwo1 ... 0.tar?dl=0

Extract it (it's named WNA3100) and use the inf file inside (bcmwlhigh5.inf)

But first UNLOAD (remove device) the previous driver.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34:04 pm

madvinegar wrote:Download this folder https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9x5jc055hwo1 ... 0.tar?dl=0

Extract it and use the inf file inside (bcmwlhigh5.inf)

But first UNLOAD (remove device) the previous driver.

Aha! It says

Hardware Present: Yes
I assume that means that it detects that the dongle is plugged in?

EDIT: Just checked my internet, my Wi-Fi popped right up and I was able to sign in and connect.

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34:51 pm

Yes. This means it is the correct driver. Does your dongle work?

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:36:11 pm

RedMistBeComin wrote:

EDIT: Just checked my internet, my Wi-Fi popped right up and I was able to sign in and connect.

Great. Glad I helped. Just to be sure reboot and see if all is loaded automatically after the reboot.
If not, run the following command

echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

and reboot again.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:37:56 pm

madvinegar wrote:
RedMistBeComin wrote:

Is there anything more that must be done? It appears to be loading tabs and pages just fine!

If there isn't, I highly appreciate your assistance in helping me out!:)

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39:23 pm

Nothing more to be done. Just check as I said in my previous post, that it loads after the reboot. If not, run the command I gave you.
I marked the topic as SOLVED.

P.S. Keep in safe place the file WNA3100 that I have found for your wireless dongle driver.

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:42:27 pm

madvinegar wrote:
RedMistBeComin wrote:

Great. Glad I helped. Just to be sure reboot and see if all is loaded automatically after the reboot.
If not, run the following command

echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

and reboot again.

Just rebooted, it takes a few seconds or so but it connects me! Works like a charm:)

madvinegar

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:47:22 pm

Just great. Happy surfing...

Madvinegar to the wireless rescue... :P

RedMistBeComin

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:50:35 pm

madvinegar wrote:Just great. Happy surfing...

Madvinegar to the wireless rescue... :P

Thank you very much again!:))

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03:51 pm

Glad you are sorted - madvinegar gets as many blue jewels as he can carry! :D