This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Shut down this system now? Menu opening all the time

user123

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:46:58 pm

My problem is that the "shut down this system now?" -menu is opening all the time. I select "cancel" and the menu opens up - again, and again and again... I can't get the menu not to open. I just installed the zorinios 9.

Any suggestion or help on what to do?

I already tried another keyboard incase something would have been broke.

Swarfendor437

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:51:05 pm

Hi, Try booting in advanced mode using the second menu choice in GRUB at boot, be sure you have a solid internet connection (via ethernet if you can to your router), run 'fsck' first (this is the equivalent of 'chkdsk') then run 'dpkg' to ensure that if there are any missing packages on your system are installed - after dpkg has completed do NOT select Continue - instead, turn off the machine and then boot up once more. Keep us posted. :D

user123

Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:38:04 am

Hi I tried the suggested solution but it did not work.

I have once earlier tried to reinstall the os but this one didn't solve the issue either.

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32:57 pm

Hi, it sounds like a corrupt install or something - can you post back details of your machine, and whether dual-boot or only Zorin installed? You may also want to download any hard drive utilities available to your particular brand of hard drive to see if there is a hard drive fault - I had this issue in Windows 7 where it would not update correctly - found tons of ebd.chk files so bought a new drive! :(

user123

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:49:06 pm

Hi it only zorinos v9 no dual boots. It is a Fuijitsu pc amd athlon 64 processor 4200hz with 2 Gb memory and 750 GB HD otherwise everything seems to be running fine but for some reason this menu is coming up. It used to be a xp machine and now I was trying to extend its lifa as mainly a wordprocessor.

It seems like some process is causing this menu to come up. It is periodically "twiching" like new impulse is coming. When selecting "cancel" the menu is almost immediatelly coming up again.

Any additional suggestions?

Linx

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:45:17 am

Is it possible the power button on the computer is "sticky" ?

user123

Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:38:45 am

Hi. Any ideas how to get a "sticky" power button to not be sticky.
I tried running the os from dvd with same results. Yesterday i tried to run linux mint and got the same isse right off when it loaded.

I did not have this issue with MS xp but now with the linux this is an issue...

Happy for any suggestions.

Wolfman

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:37:54 am

Hi,

make sure you fully update the System by running "DPKG" per the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Linx

Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:57:53 pm

If the power button is sticky, then I would suggest to clean the power button on the computer case (after removing the eletronic componets anyhow).

An easy way to test is to do this.

#Warning: If done incorrectly, It is possible to fry your computer doing this. (Trust me)

disconnect the power button from the motherboard, and use a jumper to start the computer. Normally I use a Flathead screwdriver to jump it.

There was one time, I was lazy and I didn't go straight onto the jumper and it arced, that machine never booted again so I urge you to be carful when you do this.