This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 9 Based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS??

ps2stuff

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25:51 pm

Hi I am currently a happy zorin os 7 user, it's a great os very user friendly great job guys, however I know Ubuntu 13.04 is end of life and I dont see backing up everything to do a fresh install of zorin 8.1/ubuntu 13.10 worthwhile as it goes end of life in july, so I guess what I'm asking is what are the plans for zorin based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS is it in development and if so when approx will it be released, It will be nice to have a LTS zorin release.

Thanks again for the os it's great.
Kevin

Wolfman

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:38:37 pm

Hi Kevin and welcome.

Zorin 9 can only be released once it is established that Ubuntu 14.04 is stable and bug free (Ha!). I cannot give you a date but I would say at least 2 months after the first release of Ubuntu 14.04. (guessing!).

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:18:40 pm

I would agree with Wolfman, usually as a rule-of-thumb, most forks of main distros usually appear 2 to 3 months after the main distribution, not just Ubuntu. If Zorin cannot get rid of any spyware that might be present ('lenses') on the next major release I might have to reconsider using a different distro, but we shall see! :D

ps2stuff

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25:18 pm

Thanks for the info guys, Swarfendor437 you mean a switch to debian base? I think a debian base could work better, as ubuntu can be buggy and they seem less friendly to distro's based on theirs, I've had debian and it's great rock solid but what brought me to zorin was the look and feel as other people use my pc also and debian can be confusing. Anyway looking forward to the next release thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:57:41 pm

If moving to Debian with a Zorin skin is possible I would like to see that - can you tell me if Debian still has Orca separate or has it's Gnome DE gone like the rest? (Ubuntu 13.10, Zorin 8, LinuxMint 16, Fedora20) - I suspect it is no different and that is down to the Gnome project screwing things up for Orca! :evil:

TekBoi

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:30:36 am

Why was my post deleted?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00:30 pm

TekBoi wrote:Why was my post deleted?

Hi,

when and where did you post?, was it a part of this thread?.

Did you have any advertising links in your signature?.

Anonymous

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03:26 pm

Yours must have been deleted when deleting my own post or reverse.

vedsun

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:18:19 am

Please add wine 1.0.1 in zorin 9 because these old programs only run in WinXP and at least it worked fine in the version of wine

vedsun

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21:23 am

ps2stuff wrote:Hi I am currently a happy zorin os 7 user, it's a great os very user friendly great job guys, however I know Ubuntu 13.04 is end of life and I dont see backing up everything to do a fresh install of zorin 8.1/ubuntu 13.10 worthwhile as it goes end of life in july, so I guess what I'm asking is what are the plans for zorin based on ubuntu 14.04 LTS is it in development and if so when approx will it be released, It will be nice to have a LTS zorin release.

Thanks again for the os it's great.
Kevin

pls add wine 1.0.1 installation in the zorin 9, because some programs only work in that