This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) disabled wireless adapter

Anonymous

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:16:24 pm

Hi,

I'm new to Linux. I made the mistake of logging into a public wifi without turning on my firewall. Someone flipped a switch on my computer disabling the wifi. I think they put it in AIR-PLANE mode. I know the hardware is working, as when I boot off the live CD/DVD everything works.

Does anyone know how to turn back on the wifi adapter or turn off AIR-PLANE mode. I purchased ZORIN 5.2, and the 6.0 Ultimate package(s). The wifi will turn on with the live CD/DVD, but when booting off of the hard disk.

Also, would it be too much to ask that I be notified by email, at dleschbach@hotmail.com.

Respectfully,

DLE

ZORIN IS THE BEST LINUX OS OUT THERE, AND I DO BELIEVE THAT LINUX IS GROWING IN POPULARITY...

madvinegar

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:36:13 pm

Try this. Open terminal and write the following command

Code:
sudo rfkill unblock all

Anonymous

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35:09 pm

madvinegar wrote:Try this. Open terminal and write the following command

Code:
sudo rfkill unblock all

Thanks for responding, but that didn't do anything. It accepted the command (no error messages) but the wifi is still off. If worse comes to worse, I'll just re-install everything. A pain in the ****, but that's the alternative if I cant resolve this. Once again thanks. Your command may come in handy for something else down the line. I have a lot of experience in MSDOS and Windows, but Linux is new to me.

Respectfully,

DLE

BrickTop

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28:56 pm

What do you get if you type
Code:
iwconfig
into terminal?

Anonymous

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39:53 pm

swarfendor437,

Thank you for your graphical help. Actually I was using ZORIN 5.2 on this little notebook computer. In the Network Connections box, there was nothing to turn on the wirless adapter, or disable Airplane mode. In the last 45 minutes I have been installing ZORIN 6.0. Actually it just finished installing. Now I have to do my updates, and install a few other programs, but the wifi IS working again. I have made a mental note to myself. "NEVER ACCESS A PUBLIC WIFI WITHOUT FIRST ENABLING THE FIREWALL".

Thank you and everyone else for your help. This has been a learning experience for me. The support I have gotten here was much better than the last few versions of Linux I have used, where no one respondend at all.

Anonymous

Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:47:41 pm

Oh I also found, in the processes menu of the System monitor, a process called "ZOMBIE"... I am pretty sure that that or who ever did this to me put that there. IT was "OFF". I am assuming that it had turned off my wifi adapter. I tried disabling it, but I had no luck doing so. I got comfortable with knowing that I could not be infected with a virus, but there are assholes out there that have nothing better to do than to screw with other people, so you need to keep that firewall "UP".... They must have a miserable and pathetic life!

Anonymous

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:40:57 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
DLEschbach wrote:Oh I also found, in the processes menu of the System monitor, a process called "ZOMBIE"... I am pretty sure that that or who ever did this to me put that there. IT was "OFF". I am assuming that it had turned off my wifi adapter. I tried disabling it, but I had no luck doing so. I got comfortable with knowing that I could not be infected with a virus, but there are assholes out there that have nothing better to do than to screw with other people, so you need to keep that firewall "UP".... They must have a miserable and pathetic life!

Even having a firewall on might not have prevented this:

http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=5&t=2479

As in all machines - the human chain is the weakest link! Don't click on 'innocent-looking' applets!

Yes Sir I know this, but sometimes innocent links and emails from friends happen. To coin a phrase. I am very careful though about it, and I still believe that it was an invader on an open wifi hot spot that got into my system and turned on the airplane mode. This is the reason I dropped Mint Linux.<-- new to Linux and not knowing what to do. I Thought the Firewall was enabled by default. I still would like to know how to turn off airplane mode/enable the wifi adapter from the command line. I appreciate your quote and respect your opinion and any future help/advice you may have to offer, and I will take it your advice as "constructive criticism". THANK YOU...

Daniel Lee Eschbach

Wolfman

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:34:11 am

Hi Daniel,

not much here:

http://simos.info/ubuntu-desktop-guide- ... plane.html

but you can try here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

Simply switching in off and on from the panel icon is straightforward enough!!.

You can also disable wifi with the FN key + whatever other key it uses like F2.

Regards Wolfman :D