This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation Hangs After Boot Menu

FranVarin

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:23:33 am

Hi,
I have been a user of Ubuntu for several years and want to give Zorin a try. I have an older Toshiba Satellite M35-S320 with an Nvidia graphics card. When I boot from the Zorin install DVD I get to the boot menu but, no matter what selection I make from that point on the installation stops. I've read in the Installation forum that there appears to be an issue with Nvidia graphics cards and I suspect this may be the problem. I've had grief with this card using Ubuntu as well. Although, recent distributions seem to be addressing the problem as the issue has progressively gotten better. I'm looking for any advice anyone has as to how I can get Zorin installed. Is there some kind of work around or something? When will support for Nvidia cards be addressed?

madvinegar

Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:04:14 pm

Hi. Try this.

When you get to the boot menu in the live DVD, press the Tab Key and then a command line will appear. Type:
Code:
nomodeset

and press enter.

FranVarin

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10:21 pm

Thank you for responding. When the boot menu appeared, I hit the tab key and entered the following:

CODE:SELECT ALL nomodeset

The drive's light came on a couple of times indicating some activity. So, it seems like it got a little further this time but, then it stopped. Did I enter the command correctly?

madvinegar

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34:18 pm

Hm...
I don't have the boot CD with me but i remember that an alternative is this.

At the boot menu press F6. A list with options will open from which you can choose "nomodeset".
Choose it, hit enter and then boot.