This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] zorin wont install

zorin0s

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35:36 am

I got a new box, it didn't come with an OS because i wanted to re install zorin os on the computer, because I had been using it previously for a year. I re downloaded the distro, installed the cd, the computer loads and then it comes to the option screen asking if i want to install directley or try it out off the cd ect. It does not matter what option i choose, it loads to a grey screen and then does nothing apart from flash the curser in the top left hand corner. This is a brand new pc, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. specs are...

Product Description:
Intel Core i3 4130 CPU – 3.4Ghz
H81 Motherboard
4GB DDR3-1333MHZ RAM
500G Hard Disk
22x DVD-Burner
CoolerMaster mATX + 420W PSU
Asus GF GT630 PCI-E 2.0, 2GB 128-bit DDR3, 810/1800 MHz ,DVI, HDMI, VGA, Fan

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:37:41 am

Hi,

if you are using a disk, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

if you can see the boot menu when starting from the disk; you can try the following, as soon as you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" (you can also try "acpi=off" if nomodeset doesn't work for you) then press enter and see if it boots, there is also and option to boot in safe mode, you should try that also.

Other commands:

nolapic

edd=on

nodmraid

Have you tried Unetbootin on a USB stick?:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Let us know if this helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

zorin0s

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00:40 am

I have tried those commands. Nothing works. I even tried undtbootin and that froze too. Wih those commands am i suppossed to delete the long atring command that appears? If so i have done that and nohing works

Wolfman

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49:22 am

Hi,

no!, you are only to add the commands at the end of the command string that you see once you press the "Tab" key, do not delete/replace anything in the command line that you see!.

What version of Zorin did you download?, if it is a 64 Bit version, try downloading the 32 Bit version instead!.

Have you checked the BIOS setup on your PC as it might be that it has a UEFI switch in there and you need to switch it off!.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

zorin0s

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35:48 am

Nothing worked. I did a bit of digging and came across a trick some people used with ubuntu. they replaced the "quiet splash" with nomodeset. I did that and it did boot up. Screen was all over the place though because i had not installed the nvidia drivers. Once i managed to get them installed, everything is all good now. I did all the updates ect ect, so it is finally going

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40:51 pm

Well done! Will mark as [SOLVED]